Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Solution for USB stick in Samsung android phones (USB host API blocked)

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Hello.

I was having some problems with an ant USB stick and my Galaxy S2, as I metioned in this thread: http://www.thisisant.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,146/func,view/catid,30/id,3413/

The problem seems to be that Samsung blocks the USB Host API in some phones, as the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy Note for example.

Solution: install a custom kernel, in concrete the Siyah kernel has the USB host API enabled, you can download it here: http://www.gokhanmoral.com
I have tried it with cyanogenmod 9 RC2 but should work with stock ROMs and others.

The problem is that installing a custom kernel or ROM voids the warranty and isn't recommended if you don't know well what are you doing, as there is a probability of breaking your phone.

Just after flashing the kernel, when I connected my OTG adapter with the ANT stick2 plugged in, a dialog appeared asking for launching the ANT USB service.
Then in the ANT+ demo I could pair my HRM, also ipSensorman shows the sensor correctly.

What I can't get to work by the moment is Endomondo, it doesn't detect the ANT device and just jumps to Bluetooth search...
I'll keep investigating to solve this issue, as my intention was to use the ANT HRM so it is integrated with my bicycle runs.

Hope this helps someone when getting ANT working.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

This is an application issue. Existing applications (before ANT USB Service) were written expecting that ANT functionality is only available on a phone with a built-in ANT chip, and would only try to use ANT in this case. Endomondo needs to be updated to use ANT when the ANT USB Service is available.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I also have the same problem with Endomondo and my Galaxy S III. I was sure I read somewhere that apps didn't need to be written any differently for USB sticks. When ANT USB Service was installed, it would appear to apps the same way as a native ANT+ chip would.      
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

That's what I supposed, perhaps the app only search for the integrated chip or just checks towards a list of supported models.

It's the same with My Tracks.

At least by the moment I can use ipbike to capture the rides and then upload them in .gpx to endomondo      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Those developers simply need to update their apps to use the latest version of the ANT API (which knows about USB sticks). No code changes are required.