ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT not working on S4 after Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Update

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Notice to everyone who has a Samsung Galaxy S4, model GT-I9506:

We have become aware of an issue with a recent Android 5.0.1 OTA update going out to some regions of this S4 model that breaks ANT support. After upgrading to the new firmware version, the ANT HAL Service will be missing from the applications list and ANT functionality will not work.

Samsung is aware of the issue and is currently working on releasing an update to fix ANT support, it was not an intentional change.

We have confirmed that this affects the build LRX22C.I9506XXUDOA6. If you believe you are affected by this issue you can and the "Build Number" displayed on the Settings->General->About Device screen does not match this value, please respond here or to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to get further support.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-03-14

PM

Affected build is also LRX22C.I9506XXUDOB5      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

We have received reports that Samsung has now pushed updates to fix the problem.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2015-04-23

PM

This has affected my HTC as well. Build number 4.19.841.5CL457188

Very frustrating as things were working perfectly before with my OTG      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

AMac - 23 April 2015 12:02 PM
This has affected my HTC as well. Build number 4.19.841.5CL457188

Very frustrating as things were working perfectly before with my OTG

@AMac the issue described for the Samsung phones was an issue with the internal ANT adapter not an OTG USB stick. This must be a different problem. To help us diagnose it can you run our 'support checker' tool and post or PM me a screenshot of the result? (The ANT Support Checker can be downloaded at https://github.com/ant-wireless/ANT-Android-SDKs/blob/master/ANT_Android_SDK/Tools/Android_ANTSupportChecker_1-2-0.apk (press 'view raw' to download)      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2015-04-23

PM

it won't let me do either of those things so I have emailed the screen shot to the consumer inquiries, unless you have a different email that you'd like me to send it through to      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

@Amac, I will follow up with you by email, it appears your build contains the ANT Hal Service indicating internal ANT support is enabled. We have seen USB issues before on some variants of the LG G3 when the Hal Service was included improperly.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2015-03-14

PM

ShaneG - 06 April 2015 03:18 PM
We have received reports that Samsung has now pushed updates to fix the problem.

There are no updates for my phone (build LRX22C.I9506XXUDOB5, EU version). Problem still exists.
Hopefully there will be Android 5.1 update for S4 I9506      
Rank

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I have just updated to Andriod 5.0.1 on my Sprint S4 (SPH-L720 Non-Spark version). The ANT+ service no longer works. I use a Heart Rate monitor and now my app isn't as accurate for some things like Calories Burned. Has anyone confirmed that Samsung has released a fix? The Sprint Build is L720VPUGOD2.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

@ERamos Thanks for the info. This is the second report I saw with that build number. I will ping Samsung and see what they find out.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Thanks Shane!

I've posted this at the Sprint Community Forum as well and one other person has confirmed the same issue in the thread. I appreciate you looking in to this. Keep us posted on what you find out! smile      
Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

I've just upgraded to build LRX22C L720VPUGOD2 and have the same problem as well. ANT was working fine until the upgrade and now doesn't work at all.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Quick update, Samsung has confirmed the LRX22C L720VPUGOD2 build is missing ANT configuration, and is working on a fix, no timeline is given yet.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

I chatted with Samsung yesterday. They also confirmed that a fix was in the works but could not give me a release date. In part, "Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center or you will be informed by your service provider." - www dot samsung dot com/us/support/downloads - They also offered to have me send my phone to the Samsung Service Center to "fix the issue...2-3 business days to receive the device and 5-7 business days to service the device and 2-3 business days to ship the device." But I don't know how they could "fix the Issue" in 5-7 days if they don't have an upgrade yet. I declined to send it to them.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-08-22

PM

Any ideas if this is going to get added soon? This is really frustrating as I use an ANT HR monitor paired with my Galaxy S4 - Sprint phone. Can I just manually load this functionality? Otherwise, anyone know how to roll back out of lollipop? Thanks!      
Rank

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

ANT+ is THE primary reason I have this phone. I monitor heart rate, cadence, and power. At least I did. Now a third of the season has gone by without that capability. I've been running around in circles about this issue for over a month now. It's on the ANT forum, the Samsung forum and the Sprint forum. Direct communication with Samsung and Sprint is not helpful. Samsung has known about it for six weeks but the best answer I get is "I've to inform you [sic] that our team is working on the next updates to the devices to fix the bugs. Once the update is available, it will be notified to your phone from Sprint as carrier releases the updates to the devices...I apologize, as of now there is no official information available for the release of the update due to the fact the information provided may lead to confusion." As if there is no confusion now. I'm assuming that this really means that Samsung does not consider this a priority and has yet to schedule the work with their developers. They're just working through a bunch of fixes and this one might be covered before the next release, whenever that is. I'm going to try a workaround. There is a company in Italy called selfloops (try dot com, STORE) that makes a USB dongle for ANT+. It was originally for the S3 and S4 before the S4 had ANT+ support. They sell the dongle and an OTG cable for about $40. BUT, the shipping is $28!! You have to download ANT Radio Service, ANT USB Service, and ANT Plugins Service free from Google Play. If you can download those to your phone, and they show as active using ANT Checker (also Google Play), I think it will work. Mine should be here on Monday and I'll give it a try and will post results here. There's also the Suunto Movestick available on Amazon that MAY be the same device or at least an alternative without the insane shipping charge. If the selfloops one works I may give the Suunto one a try as well. Check back here.