Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT+ topology & sync Profile

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-02-17

PM

1)If i want to create my own network topology based on combining several ANT+ Profiles, for each ANT+ Profile should i open an independent channel or i can use shared channels ( the specification in the document are strict or with tolerance ?! )

2)Even if in the specification of the ANT+ User Profile document require a certain transmission type and channel type can i use other specification in order to draw bigger topology;in the same channel can i bring different ANT+ profiles to operate together

For example, the one used in gym with bike to ensure competitivity between members use shared channel or what?!
how could they relay 50 ibike with a single display and with other profiles knowing that at most i can open 8 channels.

3) I did find an ANT+ profile The sync that operate in 2450 MHz instead of 2457MHz like usual ANT+ profile, why is that?!!

To summarize, is it the profile that impose the topology or the reverse ?!      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

1) Typically most developers open one slave channel per each ANT+ master channel they wish to listen to as it's the lowest power & easiest option. If you need to listen to more than 8 master channels then you have 3 options:

i) Use a background scanning channel, preferable with high duty search on the ANTUSB-m or at least using the fast search waveform on other devices.
ii) Use continuous scanning mode.
iii) Emulate a background scanning channel by re-wildcarding & re-opening a regular slave channel every time it pairs to a master.

Shared channels will not work most of the time as shared channels are a method of pairing tens of thousands of slave channels to a single master channel, whereas most ANT+ device profiles are simple master channels themselves which you need to receive from many of and cannot be modified for interoperability.

2) To maintain ANT+ interoperability, only parameters which the profile specifies can change, can be modified. You may build a private implementation alongside ANT+ interoperable channels in order to build a bigger or different topology depending on your use case.

Members typically build receivers using continuous scanning mode/background scanning channel to receive from more devices than 8.

3) Sync is not a broadcast profile, instead it only performs ANT-FS which uses burst messaging for FIT file transfer. Burst messages are designed for throughput over coexistence, and will interfere with regular broadcast messaging, thus it's been placed on a separate frequency with a separate network key.

Profiles only impose the format of the 8-byte message content, and channel parameters. ANT gives you other tools to build topologies on top of these.

Cheers      
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-02-17

PM

Thanks Harrison !!