Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

If the bit rate is 1Mbps, why is the maximum data through-put only 20kbps?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 140

Joined 2008-12-09

PM

ANT achieves its low power consumption by intermittently transmitting data such that the radio is only on for a short period of time. 1Mbps is the over-the-air bit rate whilst transmitting/receiving, therefore the overall bit rate is reduced when considering time off vs time on. Also, the bit rate accounts for the maximum bit transfer rate only. It does not account for overhead bits or timing delays. Each message packet consists of data bits and overhead bits from header and checksum fields.      

Signature

For a complete list of frequently asked questions and answers, please view the FAQ user profile by clicking on the FAQ user name. 

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hi Admin,

let's see if i get it right:
if i can set module to continuously sending for 1 sec, it can send out 1 Mbit, for that 1 sec.

Next question: can i config ANT module to behave this way? what is maximum limit i can extend the ON time? 5 secs?

is 20kbps for one channel only?

Can i send simultaneously at 4 channels, with 20kbps. which will yield total of 80kbps.      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

In theory, you can set the radio on for 1 second in order to send 1Mbit; however, that is not possible because ANT is the only one that controls and manages when the radio is on and off. Therefore, whether or not ANT module can be configured to be on for 1 second and extending the ON time to 5 seconds, the answer is no you can't again because it is only controlled by ANT.

The reason for not setting the radio on for the entire 1 second, is because the power consumption will be high resulting the batteries to burn!

As for sending simultaneously at 4 channels, it is not possible to burst two channels at the same time because the radio will be occupied by the burst of one channel only. Also, the rate 20kbps is the total rate no matter how many channels are open. Therefore, whether one channel or 4 channels are open the total rate will always be 20kbps.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

in FAQ of ANT:

http://www.thisisant.com/images/Resources/PDF/ant_qandas.pdf

Page 8
Q: How does the protocol affect the wireless linkâ??s efficiency?
A: Another Efficiency is 20%, and ANT is 47%. Packet Structure of rival technology is displayed.

where the number 47% coming from? Could we have description on ANT packet structure?

Thanks      
Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-10-07

PM

OK. i understand the 20kbps part.

in ANT FAQ, page 8, ANT is compared with another generic wireless technology, packet structure. ANT is claimed to have 47 percent of protocol efficiency.

Could you specify where this 47% number coming from? An illustration of ANT protocol packet structure will be beneficial.

Thanks.      
RankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

As for the ANT packet structure, this piece of information is proprietary.

However, ANT's 47% efficiency is related to the overhead/data bytes.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hi Muharram,

Can we push the limit of 47%?

If 47% is fixed, meaning in 20kbps, actually we only sent out data
(20kbps * 47% =) 9.4 kbps?

or

20 kbps, means that (20 kbps / 47%) = 42.55 kbps (overhead + data payload) is actually being sent out.

Thanks for your support      
RankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi David,

No, you cannot push the limit of 47%.

As for the 47% efficiency, your second guess is the right one. Therefore, what is actually being sent out is 42.55 kbps (overhead + data payload).      
Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-10-07

PM

Hi Muharram,

could you describe the other 53% overhead structure?
how ANT handshaking is established using this 53% overhead.      
RankRankRank

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

This information is also proprietary.