Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Protocol efficiancy

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I notice from one of the Q&A documents that the ANT protocol is 47% efficient compared to a 20% efficient protocol. I am wondering how that 47% figure was derrived as I have not been able to find a breakdown of the protocol which depicts overhead to payload.

I assume the 47% figure is derrived from ANTFS which seems to be the fastest data transfer rate.

I guess there is a preamble of x bits, then perhaps a MAC address then an 8 byte payload and CRC but I have no idea how long each of these components are.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to convince the team to use ANT rather than other technologies.      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

Please note that the figures in the example are for illustration purposes and do not represent actual protocol structure.

As for the length of the ANT packet's different components, this information is proprietary.      
Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-03-01

PM

I also want to measure the efficiancy/protocol overhead to compare it with other technologies. But therefore I need some information about the "over the air" message frame!

Regarding CC2571 Manual:
Each packet transmitted by ANT is characterized by the following parameters:
• 8-byte data payload
• 2-byte network key
• 4-byte channel ID

attaching 2-byte CRC => efficiancy 50%
to gain 47% there must be another byte (preamble or somthing)

But then, the protocol efficiancy is much lower as the one from btle...      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 156

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Hi,

Sorry, but the ANT "over the air" protocol information is proprietary.

If you were planning on using efficiency to perform power consumption calculations for your application then I would recommend using the power estimator:

http://www.thisisant.com/developer/components/power-estimator/