Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Getting from ANT messages to ANTware II via a serial data stream over USB?

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Folks,

I'm building a wearable ANT sensor (using TI CC2570 and MSP430). Hardware is together and working; software, too, up to the exchange of ANT Messages (per ANT Message Protocol and Usage doc). Also have a serial port out of the MSP430 for debugging, with standard serial to USB (COM port) converter.

Appears that I have the rough equivalent to an ANT USB Stick and would now like to use ANTware II to drive my device. Is there a document anywhere (e.g., API spec) that describes what sort of data stream ANTware expects? I'm presuming (and hoping grin that it's a simple serialization of ANT messages from the attached device.

Note that I've looked at the usual suspects: The source code for ANTware appears to hide the info in wrappedlib.dll (and it's interface description in the xaml file (IIRC) appears much more baroque than what I'm hoping for.) Similarly, the source for the Windows lib seems too convoluted to be worth decoding. (Hmm... I should look at the Mac version... but in the meantime...)

Suggestions? Documents or specific pieces of code I need to grok?

TIA,

Mike      
Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 0

PM

Mike,

Congratulations on your hardware. As for the use of ANT+ it is necessary to model the upstream data into a device profile. The device profiles are listed here: http://www.thisisant.com/pages/ant/ant-device-profiles You n.eed to sign up to be an ANT+ adopter and agree to the stipulations to use ANT+. The Network key is found in the same location as the profiles but at the top of the page: http://www.thisisant.com/images/Resources/PDF/network keys.txt.

Hope this is helpful

Cy Drollinger

Electronic Realization      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

What sort of hardware do you have in your "rough equivalent to an ANT USB stick"?

The full source code of the ANT libraries (including ANT_NET.dll and the ANT_WrappedLib.dll) is available in the ANT+ Adopter Zone of the website. The libraries are designed to interface with the ANT USB1, USB2 and USB interface board. The ANT USB1 stick and the USB interface board use the SiLabs CP2102, with drivers from SiLabs, while USB2 is based on nRF24AP2USB and uses libusb.

If you want to use ANTware with a different kind of stick, you will need to modify the libraries to add support for your device. Have a look at the software/serial and software/USB directories within the libraries to see what you would need to implement.      
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Thanks for the replies, Cy and Alejandra, especially the pointers to the USB interface files. that limits my search space in finding the requisite info wink

Mike