Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

i don’t get it

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I'm not a developer but I am a techie (geek if you will). I only came across ANT when my Xperia Mini Pro told me to perform an update. I understand that it was preloaded (ok). I understand that the protocol is lightweight and actually really useful (ok).

However, I can't find any apps to actually utilise this or mention of any products (hardware) that are actually compatible. I don't understand why there's preloaded software to facilitate something that can't do anything on my phone yet. also, I can't tell what the update is adding.

frankly speaking, it's wasting space on my phone and probably battery power. I'm all for new and improved technology but as a user, I want it to be at least useful to me. At the moment it looks like its just a framework with nothing on it.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-05-02

PM

Hello,

Perhaps the reason you couldn't find any products or software is because you were searching for ANT rather than ANT+. ANT+ is the interoperability function that can be added to the ANT protocol which allows for interoperability between devices of different manufacturers, and facilitates the collection and transfer of sensor data.

There are currently over a million ANT nodes in the marketplace in hundreds of products ranging from health and fitness to industrial applications.

A list of some of the available ANT+ products is available in our product directory. Note that the product directory is not up to date, there are many other ANT+ devices that are not listed. We will be releasing a new, improved product directory in the coming months.

ANT is also available natively on many Android phones. A complete list of the phones that support ANT is available here.

If you are interested, DC rainmaker, a fairly prominent health and fitness blogger has done numerous reviews of ANT+ products and ANT enabled phones.

As for apps, if you search ANT+ in the android marketplace you should see some ANT+ apps that utilize the native ANT on your phone. You can also check out the ANT in Mobile Phones section of this forum for some interesting applications that other software developers are working on.

I hope this answered your questions.

Best regards,

Kassandra