ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Android USB stick support

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi fbazaldua,

Although it sounds like you have the hardware and kernel support for USB Host, you also need to check for Google's USB Host API to be present and functional, which is what allows non-common peripherals like the ANT USB Stick to be accessed by 3rd party applications.

The final post in this thread is an excellent read, but the general steps are:

1. Determine if you have the Android USB Host API installed, you may use the USB Host Diagnostics app to find this out.

2a. Assuming the API is present then install the ANT Radio Service and ANT USB Service and you should be good to go.

2b. If the API is not present you should be unable to install the ANT USB Service which is a sign your Android device does not have the API installed/enabled. Please contact your device manufacturer or a friendly forum for assistance.

Cheers      
Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-03-03

PM

Thanks for your response Harrison. As you can see from my previous post, I was able to download and install both the Ant+ Radio Service and the Ant+ USB Service without any problems. I guess this means I have the Android USB Host API installed, but not enabled? If so, how can I get it enabled? I look forward to hearing from you soon. In the meantime, I will read the thread you suggested above. Thanks.      
Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-03-03

PM

Harrison, as instructed I ran USB Host Diagnostics and I get the following:

Android API:
Claims support - Yes
Classes found - Yes
Device detected - No

How can I get my device detected? Please advice. Thanks.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

Unfortunately you'll have to turn to HTC or at least someone more familiar with your phone hardware to solve this issue, but I can give a few suggestions.

1. Was your Kernel able to detect the device? You reported things like keyboards work, but those types of devices go through the Kernel instead of the USB Host API.

2. Have you tried a USB2 or USBm stick (which comes with most watches/displays) instead of a Movestick Mini? I'm not familiar with how well the Movestick Mini works with USB Host.

Best regards      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

One issue I have seen is where some phones (eg. the Samsung Galaxy S II X) will not detect the USB stick if it was connected to the OTG cable before it was plugged into the phone. Plugging the OTG cable into the phone and then the USB stick into the OTG cable works every time.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-04-18

PM

Does anyone knows if its possible to use the ANT USB SERVICE on LG L9?
i cant see the ANT usb service app in google play when logging in with the LG L9      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

The LG L9 does not allow connecting USB sticks.

If you can't see the ANT USB Service from your phone, then it is not reporting support for the USB Host feature. This is required for the ANT USB Service to talk with the ANT USB stick.      
Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-10-15

PM

Hi,

I'm having the same problem on my Sprint HTC ONE that I just bought about a month ago. USB memory stick works fine over the OTG.

ANT USB Service and ANT Radio Service are installed.

ANT2 USB stick (tried a Garmin one and the small one from ANT+) gives a device not supported error immediately when it is plugged in.

I get the same results as fbazaldua when I run USB host diagnostics. Shown below.

I rooted the phone, and modified the handheld_core_hardware.xml file as described at: http://www.thisisant.com/developer/resources/tech-faq/category/ant-in-mobile-phones/ under the question "Why is my ANT USB stick not working with my Android device?". This mod is also described here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11183792/android-usb-host-and-hidden-devices

Still get the same device not supported error.

Then I installed a new kernel that was supposed to disable the USB OTG Whitelist from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2267255

Still get the same device not supported error.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try???

Incidentally, the ANT+ stick works fine on my brothers Galaxy Nexus Google phone.

Roger

fbazaldua - 05 March 2013 05:14 PM
Harrison, as instructed I ran USB Host Diagnostics and I get the following:

Android API:
Claims support - Yes
Classes found - Yes
Device detected - No

How can I get my device detected? Please advice. Thanks.

Rank

Joined 2013-06-06

PM

I'm having the exact same issue as Roger. Went through the same steps, USB memory stick works, just not the ANT+ stick. Any ideas?      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Info from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2219123
HTC One and USB Host Mode

HTC Support says USB Host Mode is not supported and only following protocols would work on their devices :

Charging
Mass Storage
Media Transfer
PC Connection Mode      
Rank

Joined 2013-06-11

PM

Hi all,

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and I wanna use my phone to connect to a speed/cadence sensor (Bontrager ANT+ Bike Speed/Cadence Sensor or Garmin GSC 10).

Reading up online from various sources seems like using a Ant stick with OTG may or may not work. Instead of ending up with a drawer full of Ant+ dongles, I was hoping if anyone could advise on which Ant+ stick within my reach would work for my needs with an OTG.

Adidas MiCoach Connect for PC? (easiest to acquire, walk in purchase)
Suunto Movestick? (purchase online)      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Simply, everything except an ANTUSB1 is supported. Android applications can use ANTUSB-m, ANTUSB2, AP2 (Suunto Movestick Mini, Adidas MiCoach Connect) and newer USB sticks if the Android device has the USB Host feature. Development boards with other ANT modules can work, but are not something generally in use.
Note that the application itself must allow the use of ANT USB sticks (and not require built-in ANT).      
Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-10-15

PM

Hi All,

HTC must have done an update that allows this to work on the HTC ONE now.

I returned my HTC ONE to its unrooted state a few months ago. I've been considering trading it in on something that would work with ANT+. Today I decided to give it a try again with the ANT+ dongle and it worked.

I had the radio service and the USB service previously installed. I downloaded an ANT+ demo from the Play store and when I tried to pair with a HR strap it prompted me for an additional plugin. I downloaded that and it started working.

I also got my muscle oxygen sensor to pair in IP Bike.

Roger      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

That's great news Roger. Thanks for the update!      
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-06-04

PM

rohan - 11 March 2013 02:43 PM
One issue I have seen is where some phones (eg. the Samsung Galaxy S II X) will not detect the USB stick if it was connected to the OTG cable before it was plugged into the phone. Plugging the OTG cable into the phone and then the USB stick into the OTG cable works every time.

Indeed, I've been having problems testing our app with a Galaxy Note 8, and found this to be exactly the case.
It's easy to test using an app like USB Host Controller: if you go to the USB tab and plug the stick with the OTG cable all at once, you'll find the app sometime will detect the stick and sometimes won't. However if you leave the OTG cable connected and replug the stick to it, it will be detected every time.