ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

AT3 & AP2 modules REGULATORY APPROVAL

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-01-03

PM

Hello,

we're working with AT3 RF transceiver modules (ANT11TS33M4IB and ANT11TS33M5IB) embedded into end-user device but when the project is near to its end, we found out, that we run into troubles with "Regulatory Approval".

As AT3 transceiver module datasheet says:
All products developed by the user must be approved by the FCC or other authority governing radio emission prior to marketing or sale of such products to consumers and user bears all responsibility
for obtaining the authority's prior approval, or approval as needed from any other authority governing radio emission.

please, tell me:
1. Are there any RF APPROVED (valid for example for European region) AT3 end-user commercial customer device example? Plenty of hobby projects (SensRcore...), doubtless.

2. Can you compare for me two given modules: ANT11TS33M5IB and ANTAP281M5IB ?
I don't understand:

http://www.thisisant.com/developer/resources/tech-faq/category/regulatory-testing/
REGULATORY TESTING
However, when they are used to build new products, those products will have to go through regulatory tests (http://www.thisisant.com/developer/resources/tech-faq/category/licensing-and-certification/ The RF regulatory test is for RF compliant and RF immunity test, such as FCC, IC, CE, EMC, EMI, RF etc. The test specifications are designed by regulatory test labs which are certified by North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand etc. government communication committee.). You can find more details in the product datasheet for the relevant module.

What's the difference between approval costs for ANT11TS33M5IB (FCC ready) and ANTAP281M5IB (FCC approved) for end-user device with RF module and what procedures are necessary?

3. Why the ANT11TS33M5IB module is not FCC/ETSI/... approved as ANTAP281M5IB is? For what purpose is non-approved ANT11TS33M5IB intended (SensRcore feature is known to me)?

4. Let's say we want to sell end-user device with RF module. What's easier: to rely on Regulatory Approval valid for AP2 RF Transceiver Module (i.e. to replace AT3 module in our project) to avoid NIGHTMARES & approval process or to go through approval process for any country intended for market with AT3 set up (maybe too expensive-nonprofitable)?

Thank you      
Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

1. Are there any RF APPROVED (valid for example for European region) AT3 end-user commercial customer device example? Plenty of hobby projects (SensRcore...), doubtless.

Yes. AT3 module is being used in power meters, bike computers, fitness equipment that are sold in European countries. Sorry, but it is not appropriate to mention the brands.

2. Can you compare for me two given modules: ANT11TS33M5IB and ANTAP281M5IB ?

AP2 module is shielded and certified in many countries or regions. AT3 module was developed before AP2 module, and shield was not implemented, thus can not be certified.

The benefit of using an approved module is not to completely waive the certification request, but to waive some of the testing items and processes on a case by case basis per region. A consultation with a test lab is recommended. For example, if you use AP2 module and the module is the only radio in your product, the expensive intentional radiation test should be able to be exempted. Depending on the lab, the cost saving should be more than $5000 on this single test.

AT3 module has been tested and meet the FCC standards. So using it in a product is totally fine. Regarding RF certification, you just need to pay more efforts and cost.

3. Why the ANT11TS33M5IB module is not FCC/ETSI/... approved as ANTAP281M5IB is? For what purpose is non-approved ANT11TS33M5IB intended (SensRcore feature is known to me)?

AT3 module can not be approved because it is not shielded. This is a 5 year old product. There is no intention to further improve the product.

4. Let's say we want to sell end-user device with RF module. What's easier: to rely on Regulatory Approval valid for AP2 RF Transceiver Module (i.e. to replace AT3 module in our project) to avoid NIGHTMARES & approval process or to go through approval process for any country intended for market with AT3 set up (maybe too expensive-nonprofitable)?

This is your own call. AP2 and AT3 are pin compatible. So making the change should not be too difficult. AT3 has better power consumption numbers