Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Any chance we will be seeing a 4.2 release?

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 0

PM

It would be nice to have JellyBean 4.2 API release. Looking to create a Nexus7 and Nexus10 app that will be running on jellybean. Or will the current ant sdk work on jellybean? I don't have a real device so I'm using the 4.0.3 emulator image for the time being.

Thanks      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Applications targeting any Android version (including 4.2) will work with ANT. The ANT API is not linked to Android version, and developers do not need to be concerned with fragmentation across OS versions (as the ANT Radio Service can be updated to the latest version on all devices).

Sorry there is no emulator target available.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-07-16

PM

If ANT+ should wotk with any android version, how come there are reports regarding the impossibility of running ant+ on any 4.2.2?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=41074438&postcount=105

I'm asking this because I have a Xperia active and on a custom 4.0.4 (ICS) everything works perfect, but I've tried to upgrade to 4.2.2 and I had no luck getting ant+ to work (including also manual install of the required ant+ files) on any of the roms I installed.

I will be grateful for any answer.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Android has made major changes to the low level code between 4.1 and 4.2, impacting the communication to an ANT chip. I would not expect you to be able to create a custom 4.2 ANT+ rom by copying the raw files from any currently available ANT+ phone. The pieces of the Android system those files are trying to talk to simply do not exist in the new system.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Regarding the first post about emulator support. With the next SDK update there will also be an update to the ANT Android emulator tools, removing the need for a specific ANT target, and therefore allowing you to "add ANT+" to any existing emulator...including 4.2 and newer.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

First of, I'm not a developer, I just want to know what we can expect from great developers in the future...

Are you saying that the next SDK will make it possible for developers to write applications that uses ANT+ independent of the version of Android they run on?
I.e. if Endomondo gets updated with the new SDK will I be able to connect my Xperia Ray running a custom rom (CM10.2, Android 4.3) to my HR monitor?

When will this new SDK be released?      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

The Android ANT SDK has always been independent of the Android version, so apps can run on any version of Android and use ANT the same way.

As the Xperia Ray has native ANT support it will work with any ANT+ app, including Endomondo. The only reason CM10.2 would not allow this is if it removes the ANT drivers that are included in the stock ROM. App/ANT SDK version would not be able to fix this.