Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

endianness in FIT SDK

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-02-20

PM

The FIT SDK claims to handle the endianness of the various fields for each message. I do see that there is some logic for this; however, running my C++ program to decode the example Activity.fit file yields different results on a Windows system and a Linux system.

For example, for the first record,
mesg.GetTimestamp() 
, on Windows returns 702940946 which seems correct based on the csv value for the same record. However, on linux, the value is 319284777. I get this same value on Windows if I swap the bytes before printing the result.

I assumed that the FIT SDK, in handling endianness, would return a value that is correct on whatever system its running under. However, it seems to read the correct endianness, but always return a value in the same endianness regardless of the endinanness of the system environment.

Am I wrong in this? It would seem I just need to convert endianness all the time for every value when I run in a linux environment.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-10-12

PM

The system endianness is not considered at the moment. For C++ and C#, little endian is assumed, and a little endian representation is generated for both big and little endian FIT sources. For Java, big endian is assumed, and a big endian representation is generated.

Are your windows and linux installs running on the same physical hardware?