ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

All scale measurements sample

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Hello,

I watched the Ant+ demo code because I want to connect an android app with a scale.
Which methods do I have to use to get the available services or events?
Has anyone got a sample code which gets all scale measurements?

Thanks in advance!      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Hello,
The new ANT+ plugins provide an easy to use API for communicating with ANT+ enabled scales. The currently released plugins already support basic measurement of weight. The plugins are available on the play store, and the necessary APIs and sample code for developing applications are available in the Android SDK located in the developer downloads on thisisant.com.

If you need to access the advanced measurement features and ANTFS download of weight scale history, you will need the upcoming release of the ANT+ Plugins and API. It will be released in the next week or two. If you would like early access to a beta version to kickstart your development please send me a PM with your email.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Hello, thanks for your support.
Is it really not possible to get the advanced measurement features like body fat percentage with the current API? I've read a post in this forum where someone already got the advanced parameters and had some problems with the buffer.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

The most prominent ANT+ enabled weight scale is the Tanita BC-1000.
This very scale uses PROPRIETARY messages to tranmit all measures but mere body weight.

I don't know what you want to use the Android Weight Scale lib for, but be prepared that you won't be able to receive anything but body weight from the Tanita BC-1000. Even if a next version will fully support the ANT+ weight scale profile.

Cheers,
OMB      
Rank

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Unfortunately, I am using the Tanita BC-1000 :(
That's a huge problem. Is there nothing I could do?      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

There are a few similar posts in this forum and Dynastream staff's answer has always been: "Contact Tanita and ask if they disclose the format to you.". So you could follow this advice.
Plan B: switch to a different scale that sends all body composition data in pages specified by the ANT+ Weight Scale profile. Note that a scale only needs to send body weight in the profile compliant page, to call itself"ANT+ weight scale profile compliant"!

OMB      
Rank

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Ok, thank you very much for your advice!      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

@whitebrazilian1
First, as to current advanced measurement support, I am referring to the ANT+ Plugins API which is NOT the approach used by the currently released ANT+ demo. It would be possible to manually code the additional logic to handle the advanced measurement, but this is not recommended. There are a lot of fringe-cases to handle in the current weight profile and making a robust implementation is not as trivial as it seems. The new ANT+

As I said, if you look in the downloads section you can find the Android SDK which contains a new ANT+ sample code called the ANT+ Sampler which shows how to use the new API. Using the new API will mean you don't have to decode the raw message data and you don't have to manage the channel connection directly among other things. You should not use the legacy interface anymore, especially if you are developing a new application. If you want access to the advanced measurement portion of the API ahead of the upcoming public release please PM me your email and I will send you the beta release.

Second, OMB is correct, Tanita has chosen to use a proprietary format for their advanced measurements, so we will not provide any decoding of that data. Your only choice when using this scale is indeed as OMB stated: "Contact Tanita and ask if they disclose the format to you" or use an alternative scale.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer