ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT Radio Service and ANT USB Service

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 0

PM

Hi,

at the moment, if an Android device has the ANT Radio built in, the ANT Radio Service will give it priority over an external ANT stick accessory. Is there a way to give priority to the external ANT stick?

It seems the Samsung S4 and the Samsung Note 3 do not support the continuous scanning mode.
Probably because "not all radios found in cellphones/tablets support continuous scanning mode."
http://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/3974

Is there a way to know in advance which tablets or smartphone support it? Is there a list or an API to check for its support?

Thanks.

Cheers      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Which library are you using, the current AntLib (acquiring channel individually) or the legacy api (which acquires the whole adapter)? For the legacy library we do not intend to add new features or behaviours to it. The channels based library only supports background scanning currently because the continuous scan mode disables all the other channels.

What is your use case for using continuous scan that is negatively impacted by using background scan? We are not entirely opposed to supporting continuous scan mode, but we haven't done it to this point because of the extra work and possible negative impacts.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 0

PM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Can the background scanning mode completely replace the continuous scanning mode?
The use case is the ability to scan for ANT+ sensors around and show their values.
This for as many sensors as possible.
Thanks.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Our new version of the ANT+ Plugins API being released within the next week will have a new feature that allows searching for multiple ANT+ devices concurrently on a single channel as you describe. We will be releasing a beta soon, if you are interested please subscribe as a watcher of our ANT+ Plugins GitHub repo to be kept up to date on changes: https://github.com/ant-wireless/Android_ANTPlusPlugins      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Re-reading your last post, I noticed you mentioned "and show their values". How many devices do you intend to show values for? If it is more than 8, the plugins wouldn't support it because the plugins don't support scan decoding. Currently the only way to do that would be to use a background scan and manually decoding the ANT+ info.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Just to follow up, the ANT+ Plugins with multi-device search support was finally released http://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/4357/      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2017-04-26

PM

ShaneG - 14 May 2014 12:23 PM
Re-reading your last post, I noticed you mentioned "and show their values". How many devices do you intend to show values for? If it is more than 8, the plugins wouldn't support it because the plugins don't support scan decoding. Currently the only way to do that would be to use a background scan and manually decoding the ANT+ info.

you mentioned "Currently the only way to do that would be to use a background scan and manually decoding the ANT+ info." is that possible? somebody told me it not allowed to connect ant+ device with Android Ant SDK.

Right now, I'm developing an Android App, try to read up to 24 ant+ hr sensors. But only 8 channels available to the ant+ plugin (I tried plug in 3 usb stick, but it still not work). I think background scan will do the work, but I cannot figure out how to do it with Android ANT SDK.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.      
Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2017-04-26

PM

rainthinks - 28 April 2017 04:05 AM
ShaneG - 14 May 2014 12:23 PM

you mentioned "Currently the only way to do that would be to use a background scan and manually decoding the ANT+ info." is that possible? somebody told me it not allowed to connect ant+ device with Android Ant SDK.

Right now, I'm developing an Android App, try to read up to 24 ant+ hr sensors. But only 8 channels available to the ant+ plugin (I tried plug in 3 usb stick, but it still not work). I think background scan will do the work, but I cannot figure out how to do it with Android ANT SDK.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I've figured it out. thanks for the inspiration.