Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Garmin Vertical oscillation and Ground contact time

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

Garmin has been selling their HRM-RUN heart rate strap for a while now, which can collect and transmit running cadence, vertical oscillation and ground contact time data.
While these data are meanwhile covered by the FIT SDK, there's no ANT+ device profile (yet).

Is there/will there be a device profile that covers running cadence, vertical oscillation and ground contact time ?
Or is this Garmin proprietary?

Cheers,
OMB      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

Hi OMB,

We cannot comment on product roadmaps on this forum. You could try this link for Garmin product related questions: https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

Thanks,

Kat      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Hi Kat,

I didn't want to ask for Garmin product features, roadmaps, ...
All I wanted to ask is: is there or will there be an ANT+ device profile that covers Garmins "Running Dynamics" measures (ground contact time, vertical oscillation, running cadence).
And to my best knowledge you, Dynastream, are the masters of ANT+ device profiles, so I'm hoping that you can answer this question.

Or does Garmin use non-ANT+ private ANT messages to transmit these sensor values.

Thanks in advance,
OMB      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

Hi OMB,

Vertical oscillation and ground contact time are Garmin product features, so asking whether these will be made open is a product roadmap question - the Garmin forum would be the place to request this, should you wish to.

I can say that there is no published ANT+ device profile for running dynamics at this time. So that's nothing available for ANT+ Adopters or ANT+ members.

Hope that helps,

Kat      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Hi Kat,

thanks a lot for your answer - yes, that helps and makes things clear.
It's not what I hoped for, but what I somehow expected.

Cheers,
OMB      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

Hi OMB,

The intention is to release this as an ANT+ Device Profile eventually, however I cannot give timeline information at this stage.

Do you have application in mind for this profile?

Thanks,

Kat      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Hi Kat,

thanks a lot for your follow-up.
I don't want to press you on this matter. I have some ideas, but that's not urgent.

Thanks again,
OMB      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

You're welcome smile      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

Add me to the interested list if this goes anywhere. Or even the TWG...      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

Will do Ifor.      
Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2023-08-06

PM

If Garmin's advanced running dynamics data were to become part of an official ANT+ device profile, it would likely require collaboration and agreement among various manufacturers and stakeholders within the ANT+ ecosystem. Garmin may have proprietary elements in their implementation, but the specifics would depend on the agreements and standards set by the ANT+ Alliance.
Bitlife