Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Activity with custom fields

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-02-03

PM

How would I go about creating an activity file but with fields that are not currently present in the SDK?      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-10-12

PM

Hi Geoff,

If you have additions you think would be valuable to the community at large you can submit them here for possible inclusion in a future FIT SDK release.

You could also define custom messages (in the manufacturer specific range) to hold your custom data:
Create types.csv & messages.csv (profile.xls shows format) then run fitgen.exe to regenerate the SDK. Your custom fields are now available for use by your application. If you are generating an activity file be sure to follow the format described in the FIT File Types Description document.

HTH
ShaneP

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-02-03

PM

These values are specific to this one piece of hardware.

If I add the values to my SDK, would someone else be able to decode the fit file that I produce or would they also have to create the types and messages csv files?

Is there a specific portion of the FIT FIle Types Description document that I should look at?      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

The FIT specs are there to ensure interoperability.
So everything that's defined in these specs can be decoded by other software that has implemented these specs.

If you leave this path and add new messages, of course other pieces of software don't know about your addons. If these pieces of software are coded well, your added messages won't hurt them - but they won't be able to decode them. How could they if they don't know about your additional messages?

Cheers,
OMB      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-10-12

PM

-Other decoders of your file could see it contains mesgX with fieldY but would not know their names/meaning. Activity files are described in ยง9 of the File Types Doc.