Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Adapting Nordic examples for N5 Starter Kit

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-04-25

PM

I'm still getting up to speed on this environment but I've gone through the N5 starter kit user guide and run the io demo successfully.

In Keil uVision packs there are a number of example ant projects for the nRF51422_xxAC that the kit uses. However none of these examples work with the kit's ant i/o board (buttons and LED's) because they are written for Nordic's own i/o boards, the PCA100xx series.

https://developer.nordicsemi.com/nRF51_SDK/nRF51_SDK_v8.x.x/doc/8.0.0/s110/html/a00028.html#supported_board

From the link above it looks like what's needed is to create a custom_board.h and #define BOARD_CUSTOM.

Once that is done correctly, the examples should be able to drive the buttons and led's as described.

My question is this: Where can I find guidance on how to write this mysterious custom_board.h file? Any other hurdles to expect?

Honestly it feels like something that would be included in the kit or at least mentioned in the user guide, so I have a feeling I'm missing something. Any guidance is appreciated.

MH

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 156

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Hi Mustafa,

Table 1-4 in the N5 Starter Kit user manual (http://www.thisisant.com/resources/n5-starter-kit-user-manual-1/) describes how the nRF51 I/O pins map to the Battery Board and the IO Board.

If you download and install the N5 Starter Kit SDK (http://www.thisisant.com/resources/n5-starter-kit-sdk-1/) over the nRF51 SDK version 6.2.0 you can access the 'n5_starterkit.h' file which is the starter kit equivalent to the custom_board.h file. Location: Nordic\nrf51422\Include\boards

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-04-25

PM

Many thanks usamak, I managed to get myself up and running with a custom header file based on table 1-4. It was not a difficult problem to solve but since I'm in such unfamiliar territory it took me several hours to put the pieces together in my head-- It would help future newbs if the user guide were amended with a third example that points us in the right direction for getting say Nordic's own blinky example working. I'll take the n5_starterkit.h header for a spin next, there's good stuff in there.

Cheers--MH      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

That's a good idea. We will consider it for the next revision of the SDK and User Manual. Thanks.      
Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2015-04-27

PM

Following the N5 starter kit user manual, when I get to page 19, section 2.6: Install Nordic nRF51 SDK:

1) "My products" page does not contain the N5 starter kit
2) When using the zip distribution from the link mentioned here in this forum, I get the message "The specified installation path cannot be used because it does not contain the "nrf51422" element. Please select a different path.

Any ideas of how to get up and running?

Thank you.      

Image Attachments

ff.PNG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Could you verify you are using nRF51 SDK version 6.1.0?

Edit: Corrected Version Number

Rank

Joined 2015-04-27

PM

It looks like I was trying to install the N5 starter kit from Dynastream.

However, going back to the nRF51 SDK, where do you find 6.2?
https://developer.nordicsemi.com/nRF51_SDK/nRF51_SDK_v6.x.x/

I only see 6.1

Again, thank you. And for the n5 starter kit, is the link noted above where I want to get v2 from?

Thanks again      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Sorry, my mistake.

Version 6.1.0 of the nRF51 SDK is compatible with version 2.0 of the N5 Starter Kit SDK.

There is no version 6.2.      
Rank

Joined 2015-04-27

PM

Again, thank you for your help earlier. I got up and running with using 6.1; however, I am having troubles with the getting the computer to recognize the device and the header files missing. Any advice?