Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Samsung Galaxy S5 G901F and ANT+ support

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2016-07-14

PM

I have Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G901F (named Galaxy S5 Plus,Galaxy S5 LTE-A)
It's official european version and has latest official Android 6.0.1.
ANT+ doesn't work with this combination. I've tried Endomondo, IpBike and ANT+ Plugin Sampler.
They do not even start to scan for ANT+ accessories.
ANT+ Plugin Sampler gives message: "ANT adapter not available. Built-in hardware or external adapter required"

I've installed ANT support checker. It gives info that device is ANT capable but there is no built-in firmware that supports ANT (screenshot attached) .
I've checked friends phones with Galaxy S5 G900F with Android 5.0.1 and 6.0.1 and these versions fully support ANT+. Everything works.

Is it problem with Samsung ROM?
Is there any solution that supports ANT+ with G901F?

According to application manager I can see that ANT HAL Service is consuming a lot of battery: 25% since last full charge (24h)

Thanks      

Image Attachments

ANT_Checker_G901F_Android_6.0.1.jpgANT_G901F_Info_About.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Looking at our database it appears they never officially certified this variant https://www.thisisant.com/directory/galaxy-s5/ Do yo.u know if it was working before upgrading to Marshmallow?

If you look in the Settings->System->Apps->"All" tab do you have an ANT Hal Service installed? If it is missing the only fix is for Samsung to release a new firmware build with it included.

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2016-07-14

PM

I don't know if ANT was working before upgrading to Marshmallow. I haven't tried.
Yes, ANT HAL Service is installed. It's depicted on screenshot from ANT Support Checker.
I've also attached screenshot from Settings->System->Apps->"All" with all ANT applications

Thanks      

Image Attachments

ANT_G901F_ANT_Applications.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

*Correction* I see in your checker screen attachment now that ANT Hal Service is being reported as installed, but firmware is showing up empty (That is backwards from what we have seen in the past). So, it is reporting it doesn't have any hardware with ANT enabled.

So, my first question still stands, was it working before marshmallow update? The hardware either doesn't support it or else it would need a new firmware update from Samsung.

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-07-20

PM

ShaneG - 18 July 2016 12:45 PM
*Correction* I see in your checker screen attachment now that ANT Hal Service is being reported as installed, but firmware is showing up empty (That is backwards from what we have seen in the past). So, it is reporting it doesn't have any hardware with ANT enabled.

So, my first question still stands, was it working before marshmallow update? The hardware either doesn't support it or else it would need a new firmware update from Samsung.

I have exact the same phone. Used ANT under android 5.0.1 with Garmin heart rate monitor and cadence/speed sensor in combination with Endomondo.

Since OTA upgrade to 6.0.1 it stopped working. E.G. the Ant+ Plugin Sampler gives and Adapter not available error.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

I will try to contact Samsung and see if I can get a response to report. Thanks for letting us know!      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2016-08-18

PM

Hi,

Any progress in this topic?      
Rank

Joined 2016-08-18

PM

Reported the same issue in june. It wasnt recognised by Strava, Samsung or Thisisant. Even set my phone back to factory settings with no results. Even thought about jailbreaking my phone to get back to lollipop or just sell it. It worked great before. This night i received a mail from thisisant they are working on the issue. I hope they find a solution. Very disappointed in the sellingpoints of the Samsung S5. Bought it for waterproof ant+ services on my bike. Ant+ is not working anymore and the waterproofness doesnt seem to be reliable i was told a few weeks before.

I work in the building industry. What if i would sell a house and the roof wouldnt work just like the electricity?      
Rank

Joined 2016-08-18

PM

Samsung s901f for me as well by the way.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

I still am waiting on a response from Samsung, I will follow up again.

I would encourage any of you who rely on this feature to send feedback to Samsung and let them know it is something you consider when purchasing the phone and kindly express your concern over ANT support breaking in this update. They can hopefully give you more information and it helps to give some encouragement to fix the issue.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2016-08-18

PM

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2016-08-25

PM

I have an Galaxy S5+, SM-G901F, the PHN version and for a couple of weeks i have updated my phone from 5.0.1 to 6.0.1. With the 5.0.1 version my ANT+ was working perfect with my Qubo Smart B+ trainer. With the version 6.0.1 the ANT+ is tolaly not working.
In the specs list of this phone is a Line - Support ANT+ -Yes. But wih 6.0.1 it is no.

I will also sent a mail to samsumg why there is no ANT+ support annymore.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

I received a response from Samsung and it seems they have identified the issue in the build. No info yet on timelines.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2016-08-25

PM

In the last update there is still nothing done for ANT+. It is still not working.
PDA G901FXXU1CPI2, CSC G901FPHN1CPI1.      
Rank

Joined 2016-11-02

PM

Hello

I have the same concern you with all European versions 6.0.1. The Ant + is not detected.

By cons with version 6.0.1 Singapore (G901FXXU1CPH3) no problem Ant + is well detected.

This version is full English so no worries for its use.

Now if a developer wants to watch the ant + difference between the Singapore version, and European versions I'm interested