ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Android reset system message

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-02-18

PM

Hi everybody,
I was wondering whether it is possible to trigger a system reset using a message with the 0x4a MessageId in an Android application using the Android ANT lib.

Theoretically it should be feasible to send an AntMessageFromHost message to the ANT system with the given message ID and a single byte ({0x00}) MessageParcel.

However, to my understanding, the API does not expose such function at a higher level, whereas in older versions of the library this was possible (see this reference).

Am I missing something? Thank you in advance for any help, which would be really appreciated.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

A system reset would interfere with the channels any other Android app is using. If you want a "clean" channel, you can simply release the one you have and acquire a new one.      

Signature

blackramlabs.com

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-02-18

PM

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Indeed resetting the hardware (or even trying to force close the ARS) would not be a viable option because it would interfere both with other apps and with the current application (e.g. if the reset is performed at the wrong time and subsequent calls to the service are made shortly after).

I was asking because sometimes all of a sudden (after >1h connection) the slave does not seem to receive any data for any apparent reason and trying to release and acquire does not seem to work. In devices with an integrated ANT chip, a reboot sometimes fixes the issue. It seems to be something out of the programmer's control though.

Thanks again for your time! wink      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

I have seen issues before where a restart of the ARS fixed it. You can safely do this by unbinding and rebinding to the service. If there are no other applications bound, it will restart in a clean state. Obviously, if another application is running at the same time, the restart won't occur.      

Signature

blackramlabs.com