Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Android 9 update and ANT support does not work anymore?

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2018-10-30

PM

Just got my Android 9 update on Nokia 6.1 (TA-1043) and ANT+ support does not seem to work anymore.

Previously with Android 8.x and with ANT Radio Services and ANT+ Plugins Services
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...service.socket
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lugins.antplus
installed ANT+ support was working fine.

Used this daily with Garmin HeartRate, cadence monitors and Wahoo Kickr indoor trainer.
Now after Android 9 update, ANT+ not working at all.

Can anybody confirm or even suggest a fix?

Tried usual reboots, uninstall, re-install,.... no joy.

Additionally tried soft reset (power off the phone, then hold volume up key and power button at the same time until it shows twice Android Logo) as instructed by Nokia support.... no joy.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kassu      
Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

Rank

Joined 2018-10-30

PM

Thanks for the reply.
No, I was using the older versions from Google Play Store.
Anyhow, I updated to the versions from github and it is still not working :-(

This is what ANT Tester App shows;
https://i.imgur.com/r5Ao7Zd.png

Unfortunately, I did not check with ANT Tester and do not have a screen shot of that with the previous Android 8.x SW, where ANT+ was working fine.
Anyhow, "Built-in firmware: No" and "ANT HAL service: Not found" are worrying to me.
Is this an indication that the new radio firmware that has been most likely installed with the Android 9 update did not include firmware support for ANT?

Any suggestions how to get this sorted out?

In meanwhile I also tried factory reset, but that just resetted all user data, Android 9 stayed active and ANT not working.      
Rank

Joined 2018-10-30

PM

Screen shot from ANT Checker;
http://i.imgur.com/YiVITXp.png

Build-in firmware: No
ANT HAL: Not found
ANT HAL service: Not found

I'm lost here. The Phone did support ANT before Android 9 update.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

Try going to "Settings > Apps > ANT Radio Service > Permission > Additional permissions" and make sure "use ANT hardware" is enabled.

Rank

Joined 2018-10-30

PM

unfortunately I do not have that option in app settings :-(
This is still not working for me.
I have heard of other users who have the same problem, i.e. Android 9 update and ANT does not seem to be supported by the firmware. Nokia users and also heard from Xiaomi Mi A2 user.

Nokia support was useless.

I have not managed to roll back.

I bought a cheap usb C OTG adapter and a cheap ANT+ usb stick. Now this works on my Nokia, but is of course a shitty way with usb C OTG & ANT+ stick sticking on the end of the phone. Works for indoor training stuff, but not a real solution.      
Rank

Joined 2019-01-08

PM

I upgraded my Samsung Tab A and have the same issue = Ant+ services are now broken. Has anyone found a fix to this problem yet? Is Ant+ offering a timeline for a solution?      
Rank

Joined 2017-08-23

PM

I was stuck on this for some time. The solution that fixed it was as danips posted above, the problem is it is not obvious at all that you can change the permissions iin ANT radio service.

Same post with more pictures - https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/41078/fix-for-ant-not-working-on-android-8-1-oreo

1) Go to Apps & Notifications -> See All Apps
2) Select 'ANT Radio Service' (If you cannot see this app, you need to download it from the Google play store)
3) Select Permissions
4) App Permissions
5) Slide switch to allow ANT
6) Check in ANT Tester - Hopefully Success?      

Image Attachments

permiss.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Joined 2019-01-08

PM

Unfortunately my version of ANT Radio Service shows "no permissions required" under Permissions so that isn't the problem on my Samsung Tab A.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-09-19

PM

If you download and run ANT Tester, what is the output?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quantrity.anttester&hl=en_US

Post a screenshot and it may make it easier to solve.

Rank

Joined 2019-01-08

PM

Here's a pic of AntTester. Let me know if you see a path to success.      

Image Attachments

AntTester.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Joined 2017-08-23

PM

That is strange, it is showing that the ANT hardware itself is not even present. Whereas it is listed as ANT certified.

I am just wondering if this is a Samsung version of Pie you installed for the Tab A, or a plain version? I am far from certain on this, maybe one of the ANT people can correct this, but I think the manufacturers need to include the drivers in the Android version. Which is why some manufacturers release Android versions long after the initial release from Google, is that they need to ensure that all the hardware and associated drivers are working.

I hope this helps?      
Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-01-31

PM

I have the same issue as Kassu on my Hauwei P10. Worked fine (ant+ USB adapter), but not since December suddenly.
Also have a hawuwei tablet m5 now with the same issue.      
Rank

Joined 2019-01-31

PM

Mklevie try installing USB radio service..?      
Rank

Joined 2019-01-08

PM

Unfortunately USB radio service doesn't activate ANT+ capability in a Samsung Tab A. I've tried it. Again, I used ANT+ on the Tab A for 6 months prior to a regular Android update so I know that it has ANT+ capability natively and without USB radio service.      
Rank

Joined 2019-01-31

PM

I see ok.

So it looks like Android is not working for hardware onboard or via USB and although this is with different devices, seems to be a common problem.

I checked my Hauwei P10 though and it is still running Android 8 (Hauwei version of it).

Makes me wonder if it is actually an Ant driver problem - that's all these issues have in common?