Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Newbie question about fitfile header

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2019-01-11

PM

The fitfile header contains two elements which I do not understand fully, and I can't find answers in de SDK:

1. What is de protocol version? I would expect that it relates to the protocol revision doc in the SDK (which is currently 2.4. But in my 500 fitfiles (coming from various Garmin Edges from 2014 - 2019) I see two numbers: 16 for files without developer data and 32 for files that have developer data.

2 Where can I find the profile version in the SDK Profile.xlsx? My current Garmin Edge (with latest firmware) has 2094. I cannot find any number that looks similar.

Thanks in advance!

Frank      
Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2018-10-12

PM

Frank B - 21 October 2019 02:24 PM
The fitfile header contains two elements which I do not understand fully, and I can't find answers in de SDK:

1. What is de protocol version? I would expect that it relates to the protocol revision doc in the SDK (which is currently 2.4. But in my 500 fitfiles (coming from various Garmin Edges from 2014 - 2019) I see two numbers: 16 for files without developer data and 32 for files that have developer data.

2 Where can I find the profile version in the SDK Profile.xlsx? My current Garmin Edge (with latest firmware) has 2094. I cannot find any number that looks similar.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Hi Frank,

There are currently two FIT Protocol versions (1.0 and 2.0). In the FIT file header a value of 16 indicates FIT Protocol version 1.0 was used to create the file and 32 indicates FIT Protocol version 2.0 was used. Developer Fields were added in version 2.0. There is some discussion about compatability between FIT Protocol version 1.0 and 2.0 in this thread: https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/6501/#7270

The profile version indicates the which FIT SDK release was used to create the FIT file. It is stored as (major version * 100) + minor version. So, for example, 2094 would be the Profile version in the FIT SDK 20.94 release.