Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

USB Enumeration Issues

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2020-10-21

PM

I started meddling with Ant+ technology recently and deployed an nRF52840 chip. Not the software guy!

Knowing that a bootloader already exists within the soft device (ANT_s340_nrf52_7.0.1), I flashed it onto the chip. However, I fail to see the device enumerate on the host when plugged it in. Windows stays silent, as if nothing is connected to it, and the Device Manager won't refresh either.

I tried re-flashing the firmware again while enabling the two registers (ENABLE and USBPULLUP), based on the product specification (PS) documentation, using J-Flash utility from SEGGER. This was done through initializing the registers under Project Settings, under Init. steps, based on their addresses 0x500 (ENABLE) and 0x504 (USBPULLUP). Check the attached screenshot. No dice in either attempts.

Based on the PS document, again, a 1.5k pull-up resistor was also applied to the D+ USB line, in an effort to make the device visible on the host's end. This time, after some delay, windows pops a "USB device not recognized" message. The device will show up as an "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)" with an exclamation mark on it.

By inserting another Ant+ dongle (by Dynastream), enumeration happens just as quickly as it does on any USB device, and shows up under "libusb-win32 devices" as "ANT USB-m" in Device Manager. The dongle I used (that comes with the dev kit) also shows up, and this time as a serial port communication device, and without any delay after insertion.

Am I missing something here? My board refuses to enumerate..

I will continue to look into it, and would appreciate any advice in the meanwhile.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 370

Joined 2012-06-27

PM

Are you loading any software other than the softdevice onto the chip?

The softdevice does not include a bootloader, and does not include any USB functionality.

https://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/index.jsp?topic=/com.nordic.infocenter.sdk5.v15.0.0/lib_bootloader.html gives some information on a nordic provided bootloader. Note however that this still doesn't provide USB functionality without https://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/index.jsp?topic=/com.nordic.infocenter.sdk5.v15.0.0/lib_dfu_trigger_usb.html&cp=7_5_3_3_5_3      

Signature

Ian Haigh