ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT+ signal strength / db meter ? 

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2023-03-24

PM

Hi

i am looking for a solution that will alllow for the measurement of ANT+ signal strength. (preferably in decibel?) we had our software team create an onboard signal meter in our controller device, but apparently this measures lost data packets, not signal strength. so sometimes the connection is failing after the tech leaves the site, despite the onboard meter saying the signal quality is acceptable.

i need a way of measuring actual signal strength. either between the two devices, or between one device and the proposed installation location of the paired device.

i am open to any suggestions. simpler is preferred. like a handheld device that just measures ANT+ signal, but i am happy to learn about software solutions as well.

cost is not a primary concern.

i also plan to look at simulant, as i read on a reddit post that you can see real time data packet loss. perhaps it will work better than the dumbed down red/yellow/green meter our software team built into the equipment.

thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2023-03-30

PM

the environment. One option would be to use an ANT+ Signal Tester or analyzer. There are several commercially available models that can measure the strength of the signal between two devices or between one device and the environment. Some of these analyzers can measure signal strength in decibels, which should provide you with the data you need to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing.

Another possible solution would be to use a Wi-Fi signal strength meter or similar device. While Wi-Fi and ANT+ signals are different, the concept of measuring signal strength remains the same. You may be able to use a Wi-Fi signal strength meter to measure the strength of the ANT+ signal as well.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.      
Rank

Joined 2023-04-14

PM

There are various methods available for measuring ANT+ signal strength. One common way is using an ANT+ dongle and software on a computer to assess signal strength between two devices - typically displayed either as decibels (dB) or percentage. Popular software options that measure signal strength in this way include TrainerRoad, GoldenCheetah and ANTware II.

An alternative method of measurement would be using a handheld ANT+ signal strength meter, such as those found with Dynastream ANT+ Analyzer or WiMotive's ANT+ Signal Analyzer devices. Such handhelds typically display signal strength either numerically in decibels (dB), or as color-coded bars on a color coded spectrum analysis scale. These tools also serve to visually confirm how strong or weak an ANT+ connection actually is.

As another method to measure ANT+ signal strength, oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer are also effective tools; however, using them requires more complex equipment and expertise than its simpler alternatives.

Regarding measuring signal strength between one device and its proposed installation location of its partner device, one option would be using a handheld signal strength meter and taking readings at different spots; another possibility is using simulation software like SimulANT which models signal strengths at various spots based on distance and interference considerations.

Though signal strength plays an integral part of maintaining reliable connections, other elements like interference from other devices or environmental obstacles like walls can impede signal quality as well.      

Signature

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2023-10-23

PM

There are several ways to gauge an ANT+ device's real signal strength:

1. Handheld Signal Strength Meter: A variety of wireless protocols, including ANT+, can have their signal strength measured by specialized handheld devices that are sold in the market. These meters can provide you with a more precise reading of signal strength and usually give measurements in decibels (dB).

2. USB Dongle with Signal Analysis Software: To measure the signal strength, plug in a USB ANT+ dongle to a computer and use signal analysis software. Software programs with additional data packet analysis capabilities and information on signal strength include Golden Cheetah, Garmin ANT Agent, and ANTware II.

3. Smartphone Apps: A few apps for smartphones allow you to measure the strength of an ANT+ signal. One such app is "ANT Tester" for Android. These applications record and analyze ANT+ signals using the built-in antenna on your phone.

4. ANT+ Development Tools: A variety of USB sticks and adapters that can provide signal strength information are among the development tools that ANT+ offers. Although these tools are primarily meant for developers, measuring can also be done with them.

Remember that obstructions, distance, and interference can affect the overall dependability of the connection when evaluating signal quality. To get a complete picture of the wireless performance, these variables must be taken into account in addition to the signal strength readings.

Signature

Believe you can and you’re halfway there. geometry dash

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2023-10-31

PM

Wendaly Agma - 15 November 2023 08:23 PM

1. Handheld Signal Strength Meter: A variety of wireless protocols, including ANT+, can have their signal strength measured by specialized handheld devices that are sold in the market. These meters can provide you with a more precise reading of signal strength and usually give measurements in decibels (dB).

2. USB Dongle with Signal Analysis Software: To measure the signal strength, plug in a USB ANT+ dongle to a computer and use signal analysis software. Software programs with additional data packet analysis capabilities and information on signal strength include Golden Cheetah, Garmin ANT Agent, and ANTware II.

3. Smartphone Apps: A few apps for smartphones allow you to measure the strength of an ANT+ signal. One such app is "ANT Tester" for Android. These applications record and analyze ANT+ signals using the built-in antenna on your phone.

4. ANT+ Development Tools: A variety of USB sticks and adapters that can provide signal strength information are among the development tools that ANT+ offers. Although these tools are primarily meant for developers, measuring can also be done with them.

Remember that obstructions, distance, and interference can affect the overall dependability of the connection when evaluating signal quality. To get a complete picture of the wireless performance, these variables must be taken into account in addition to the signal strength readings.

Thanks for answering, I appreciate you.      
Rank

Joined 2023-09-27

PM

Wendaly Agma - 15 November 2023 08:23 PM

geometry dash lite
In order to give you the information you need to diagnose the problem you are having, several of these analyzers have the ability to assess signal strength in decibels. A portable signal strength meter and readings at various locations would be one way to measure the signal strength between one device and its proposed installation location of its partner device; another option would be to use simulation software such as SimulANT, which models signal strengths at various locations based on factors such as distance and interference.      
Rank

Joined 2024-01-21

PM

DDES - 08 April 2023 10:42 AM
Hi

i am looking for a solution that will alllow for the measurement of ANT+ signal strength. (preferably in decibel?) we had our software team create an onboard signal meter in our controller device, but apparently this measures lost data packets, not signal strength. so sometimes the connection is failing after the tech leaves the site, despite the onboard meter saying the signal quality is acceptable.

i need a way of measuring actual signal strength. either between the two devices, or between one device and the proposed installation location of the paired device.

i am open to any suggestions. simpler is preferred. like a handheld device that just measures ANT+ signal, but i am happy to learn about software solutions as well.

cost is not a primary concern.
https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/7652/geometry dash
i also plan to look at simulant, as i read on a reddit post that you can see real time data packet loss. perhaps it will work better than the dumbed down red/yellow/green meter our software team built into the equipment.

thanks

a method of life. You could also use an ANT+ Signal Tester or Analyzer instead. Several types of devices that you can buy right now can test the signal strength between two devices or between one device and its surroundings. Some of these analyzers can test signal strength in decibels, which should give you the information you need to figure out what's wrong.

Rank

Joined 2024-02-05

PM

Several analyzers are equipped to evaluate signal strength in decibel measurements, providing the necessary data to pinpoint the issue you're encountering. Utilizing a handheld signal strength meter to take measurements at different spots is one approach to gauge the signal intensity between a device and its intended partner device's installation spot. Alternatively, simulation tools like SimulANT can be used weed seeds amazon store to estimate signal strengths across various locations, considering variables like proximity and disruption.