Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT nRF24AP1 power oscillation

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

I'm having an issue where the nRF24AP1 will sometimes oscillate between 4mA and 24mA. It will do this for awhile and randomly stop on it's own.

I'm using a custom board with a MSP430, a temperature sensor and the nRF24AP1. The nRF24AP1 is the only part on the board that is capable of drawing that much current so that's why I think it's that chip causing the power issues. When the oscillation occurs the MSP430 is unresponsive (probably since the power rails are fluctuating too much on the battery) and when it starts working again I see that the MSP430 has power reset.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Moishe      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2008-10-24

PM

Normally, the maximum peak current consumption of AP1 is 16.0mA; the 24mA is too high. Maybe your system consume more power in temperature sensing,computing etc. What is the work voltage of the AP1 during your test? If the battery voltage drop too much, the current will go up. You can use a DC power supply instead, to verify the current consumptions.      
Rank

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

The battery is 2.7 to 3.0V. The other components on the board only use a total of 2mA.

Thanks,
Moishe      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2008-10-24

PM

Is it possible to test another unit? or you can send the sensor's schematic for us to review.      
Rank

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

I've attached the schematics. I've seen this issue now with any device that I leave on for awhile.

Thanks,
Moishe      
Rank

Joined 2009-05-04

PM

I've attached a zip file with the schematics and the layout. I've seen this power issue on any unit that's been left on for awhile.. invariably they stop responding and power reset and then after some time they start responding again.

Thanks,
Moishe [file name=nRF24AP1_schematic.zip size=176985]http://www.thisisant.com/images/fbfiles/files/nRF24AP1_schematic.zip[/file]