Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Latest Samsung Kernel for Galaxy S4 breaks ANT+ 

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-09-23

PM

ANT+ radio for Android no longer works on the latest SELinux enabled kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S4.
I have re-installed, and tried in multiple devices, but every time I try to access the ant+ interface, I get a "Prevention Information Message" stating "An application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device".

Is this a known problem? Any fix?

Thanks,

Luis      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Is this using a stock Samsung ROM?      
Rank

Joined 2013-09-23

PM

Yes      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

I am trying to look in to this, but do not have an S4 available. Are you able to check if the logcat messages contain more information?

To allow real-time ADB while the ANT USB stick is connected, ensure phone and PC are on the same wifi network then:
* Connect phone to PC with USB.
* On PC command line run:
adb tcpip 5555
adb connect :5555 (available in WiFi settings > Menu key > Advanced)

ADB will now be connected over wifi and you can switch to ANT USB stick.

To return to connecting to ADB devices through USB:
adb usb      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Also posting here for future reference a review from the play store for the ARS: Luis Ramada Pereira -
Samsung latest Kernel for Galaxy S4 broke ant+ radio ant+ radio and ant+ usb no longer work in the latest version of the samsung s4 firmware. SELinux is now in enforcing status, which I suspect is the culprit. Any attempt at using ant+ aborts with "An application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system...". I have tried this in two different Galaxy S4s with same result. Unless this is the OP...      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-09-23

PM

Yes, it's the OP smile, but other people complained about the same problem

I have recently upgraded to the latest samsung firmware (android 4.3) and the problem is fixed. It is now working normally so I cannot reproduce the error and view the logcat msgs. SELinux status is still "enforcing" but all is well with this version.

Thanks
Luis      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Ok, thanks for your reports though! We will keep our eyes open, glad to hear it is fixed for you now.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

Hi,

I would like to get ANT+ running natively (built in ANT hardware) on my Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 ... I know that it should be supported on official Samsung 4.3 ROM – I did try this ROM, but it doesn't work fine for me (WiFi doesn't work, etc.). I like the AOKP ROMs, therefore I've installed the "Android 4.3.1 AOKP Nightly Jelly Bean Custom Firmware". The ROM works fine (wifi, all apps, bluetooth, etc).

When I run the "ANT+ Plugin Sampler" I get the error "ANT Adapter not available. Built-in ANT hardware or external adapter required". How can I "manually" check weather the built-in ANT hardware acutally works under this ROM? Is there a way to debug it?

Thanks!      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

The Samsung builds contain additional code required to enable the ANT stack and communicate with it. The enabling of ANT is dependent on this code, not the android version, so no matter what android version you install ANT won't be enabled unless you use the Samsung ROM or some other one that has been edited to include this code.
More information can be found in our readme here: https://github.com/ant-wireless/ANT_in_Android      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

Hi,

Yes, it looks like only the official Samsung ROM has integrated ANT+ support, unfortunately. I tried AOKP 4.3.1 and SlimRoms SlimBean 4.3 and neither of them supports integrated ANT+ ... what a pity. Is someone knows for some custom ROM with Android 4.3+ (other then official Samsung ROM), that supports integrated ANT+ on Galaxy S4 i9505 LTE, please, let me know!      
Rank

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

FYI: a few days ago DjeMBeY contributed a fix for the Galaxy i9505 LTE and now WiFi and other stuff finally works on Galaxy i9505 LTE with Android 4.3! You can get the fix here: http://d-h.st/lVI

I've tested the ANT+ Demo and it works with fine with integrated ANT+!      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

@racingkoala As the "latest" version does not have this issue, do you know the Build Number which did?