ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT dongle with minor platform

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2016-04-26

PM

Hi everyone,

I'd like to clarify if I can use an ANT dongle with non standard Linux environment.

My boss strongly desire to use ATMEL SAMA5D4 microcomputer. The computer is an ARM based microcomputer and it supports Linux below

http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/Sama5d4XplainedMainPage

I worry that I might have to write special driver for the Linux because probably no one tried to use an ANT dongle with the board before and I am not familiar with device driver.

I read this article below

https://www.johannesbader.ch/2014/06/track-your-heartrate-on-raspberry-pi-with-ant/

and I found Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) seems to support an ANT dongle. I just wrote

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0fcf", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1008", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0fcf product=0x1008", MODE="0666", OWNER="pi", GROUP="root"

to /etc/udev/rules.d/garmin-ant2.rules and it seemed to work fine. I am not sure if I can do the same with the Linux for ATMEL.

Would someone be able to tell me what can be done to achieve it with non standard Linux environment.

Thank you,
Keisuke

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi Keisuke,

While I have referenced that we are planning on releasing a Linux driver in the near future, if you'd like you can use the Windows or Mac OS X C libraries as a reference. The C/C++ drivers are identical except for the USB access, but the ANT Serial Protocol is identical across all parts (see the ANT Message Protocol and Usage document).

Cheers      
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2016-04-26

PM

Hi Harrison,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking forward to getting the Linux driver. I hope handling ANT protocol with ATMEL SAMA5D4 can be done fairly easily using the driver.

As I wrote, the board is not major. My concern is that the driver runs on SAMA5D4 Linux. Anyway, I'll test the driver when it is released.

Regards,
Keisuke