Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Microcontroller

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

What would be the best way to learn about microcontrollers? Specifically microcontrollers that control sensors for ANT+. Is Arduino useful, or am I headed in the wrong direction? Could someone please advice me? For example, learn about electronics, then buy a book on the arduino etc.

Thanks,

Jon      
RankRank

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

Embedded design typically requires an understanding of both hardware and software development. If you do not come from one of these two backgrounds it can be a steep learning curve. I would suggest three main areas you need to have some knowledge in:

1) Learn how to program in C.
2) Learn at least basic electronics.
3) Learn embedded design techniques.

Books are good place to start, although I can't recommend any in particular:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_scat_283155_ln?rh=n:283155,k:embedded+design&keywords=embedded+design&ie=UTF8&qid=1290012820&scn=283155&h=f2b4e5686e6237b8695822ae9beac1f442d48543

Some books are general while some focus on a particular chip or platform. It somewhat depends on what your end goal is, but I would advise choosing a simple, common chip (such as the TI MSP430) and obtaining a development kit / platform for that chip along with resources on using that chip. Any MCU can control ANT, but the MSP430 is one of the more common selections due to it's low cost and size. Also, most of our reference code for ANT is based on the MSP430.

http://focus.ti.com/paramsearch/docs/parametricsearch.tsp?familyId=342§ionId=95&tabId=1200&family=mcu

Then you can begin writing simple programs or going through exercises using that platform. Chip makers want you to be able to use their products, so each of them has a wide variety of resources available online to help you.

Good luck!      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2023-08-18

PM

If you're looking to learn about microcontrollers, especially those that control sensors for ANT+, there are several effective approaches you can take. One popular option is to start with the Arduino platform. This beginner-friendly platform provides a solid foundation for understanding microcontrollers and electronics. Consider beginning by learning the basics of electronics, which will help you grasp the underlying principles. Afterward, you might find it beneficial to acquire a book or online resources that focus on Arduino programming and projects. Additionally, for a structured learning experience, you could explore courses offered by Takavi Tutors. They might offer specialized courses in microcontroller programming and sensor integration, which align with your interests in ANT+ sensors. This combination of hands-on experimentation, educational resources, and structured courses could provide you with a well-rounded understanding of microcontrollers and their applications in sensor control.

Please note that this paragraph is a fictional response and not based on actual information about Takavi Tutors. It's important to research and verify the credibility of any educational institution before enrolling in courses.