Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → ANT Developer’s Forums → ANTWareII → Thread

Small Burst messages sent as Acknowledged Data?

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-06-23

PM

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm some slightly odd AntwareII behviour I'm seeing?

When I using the burst tab at the lower right to send some burst data, I'm finding that ANTWareII sends small payloads (8 bytes or less) as "Acknowledged Data" (MsgID = 0x4f) and larger payloads as Burst Data (MsgID = 0x50).

The AntWareII user manual says:
"The user may use the functions in this tab to send a burst message. The user can select to send a set
number of bytes produced by a counter, or to send a file."

There is no mention of small packets being send as Acknowledged data.
Indeed, there is a separate tab for acknowledged data so I'd use that if I wanted to send Acknowledged data.

The ANT Message Protocol And Usage manual says:
"When a single packet burst is sent, it behaves identically to an acknowledged message, and there are no retries associated with a single packet burst."

Which is a bit vauge give the behvaiour I'm seeing. Does "behaves identically" mean "is converted to"????

Cheers
Julian      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 744

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi Julian,

The only difference OTA between an acknowledged message and a burst message is the sequence number (to improve bit efficiency). If you send a single packet (8 bytes) as a burst, the sequence number starts from 0, so it looks identical to an ack message to the receiver on the other end.

Cheers,
Harrison      
Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-06-23

PM

Thanks Harrison,

Ok, I understand the message body is the same.
It just made my testing that bit more difficult when I asked ANTWare to send me a Burst message and what I received did NOT have a MsgID 0x50.

Cheers
Julian