ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

News about ANT+ and Android?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hello!

I found some interesting information that the usage of ANT+ can be possible on Android devices.

Depends this possibility on the radio chip used in the device? Or is it possible with a special Android version?

Do you have any recommendations about further information regarding this topic?

Kind regards, Jens      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

Availability of ANT on Android devices depends on both the hardware, and firmware support from phone manufacturers. Keep an eye out on the News section on our website for announcements.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

If I could like this, I would have. I don't quite see anything in the news category yet in regards to this topic.

Is there any indication about which hardware and firmware is supported? What should we be looking for specifically?      
RankRank

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

I understand your frustration, but we are not in a position to release any news at this time. However, we are expecting some announcements related to this topic to come out during the Consumer Electronics Show / CES in early January.

One thing I can say is that Android alone will not be enough to run ANT - there must be some hardware support as well. So ANT support will depend on a few factors such as the correct radio chip being in the phone and that ANT portion of that chip being enabled.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-01-12

PM

Now that CES 2011 has passed, What is the status of using ANT+ sensors with Android OS based devices? I get the fact that the Android devices would need to have hardware support in order to enable the possibility, and it appears that some do (those using the TI LAN or BT chipsets). It appears that the biggest hurdle is software support in Android OS. Is anyone aware if there are there are efforts underway to incorporate ANT+ Support into the the mainstream Android OS?      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

You can find more information on phones announced to date, and access to developer resources, here
http://www.thisisant.com/pages/developer-zone/android-api