ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

FitCSVTool > CSV to FIT Error

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hey Guys,

I have succesfully converted a FIT TO A CSV using FitCSVTool, now i'm trying to convert it back from a CSV to a FIT and i get the below error

Many Thanks Rob.

C:\\fit\\java>java -jar FitCSVTool.jar -c 3p.csv 3p.fit
FIT CSV Tool 1.0.1.0
CSVReader.read(): Error on line 8 - Unknown field "unknown" in message "device_i
nfo".
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: FIT encoding error.
at com.garmin.fit.csv.CSVTool.main(CSVTool.java:123)

C:\\fit\\java>      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2008-11-21

PM

this means that the file contained some unknown/proprietary messages... the conversion tool can decode the FIT file, and will just place "unknown" into the spreadsheet for any fields (or messages) it does not recognise... if you open the .csv file you will see that there is an "unknown" field in the device_info messages...

This will introduce the error when trying to convert csv back to fit as the conversion tool cannot convert "unknown" into something meaningful... this is why the csv to fit conversion failed...      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hello boucousis,

Appreciate the reply I've removed the unknown line in question and it compiles OK now.

When i upload it to Garmin Connect there isn't any temperature data on it.

I double checked and all the temperature info is in the CSV's but it's still not importing it back into Garmin Connect, I'm not sure at this stage where it is comming undone.

Cheers Rob.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2008-11-21

PM

For issues with Garmin Connect you should contact Garmin directly.

They have a garmin connect forum at:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30