Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

FIT with PowerTap

Rank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 0

PM

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has experience with their own implementation of ANT+ with a PowerTap. I have it working with a Garmin USB1 stick and Golden Cheetah. Somebody else has done the hard work with the data management. Now I want to implement my own app using data from the PowerTap. It's not clear to me if the PowerTap is usig FIT or some propietary data transfer format. I'm a few steps away from implementing a data sniffer at the ANT+ level. I guess this is part of ANTware II.

Thanks Robert Barrett (newbie :blush:)      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2008-11-21

PM

are you transferring the powertap data directly from the power tap to the USB stick, or via another device?

real time bike power data is transferred according to the Bike Power device profile (refer to device profiles in the adopter zone).

FIT data is stored data ad may be transferred wirelessly using ANT-FS or via USB cable depending on your device.

stored ANT+ data may be included in a FIT file. specifically, ANT+ power data is likely included in an FIT activity file      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I'll be recording data direct from the PowerTap or other power data device so I guess it's the standard profile. I'll keep an eye out for vendor specific enhancements. As a previuos member and implementer of IEEE802 standards and ietf rfcs I've been caught out by "enhancements" many times B)      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

I've implemented a PC app that receives from a PowerTap SL+.
The data conform 100% to the ANT+ Power Profile. No "enhancements".

I've found another "negative" example:
The Tanita BC-1000 scale implements the ANT+ Weight Scale plugin. BUT it only transmit the weight value in the official pages. All other body composition data are transmitted in proprietary pages. Which is 100% "legal" behaviour, as the profile only requires the weight data to be transmitted. Everything else is left to the vendor's phantasy.

Cheers,
OMB      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Thanks - useful info - Robert