ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → ANT Developer’s Forums → ANTWareII → Thread

Idiot’s guide for basic use of ANTware

Rank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 0

PM

Hi all - I've been in technology long enough to learn that the fastest way to solve a problem is to ask if somebody if they have solved it already. In this case I am sure somebody has .......

I've installed ANTware and that talks to the ANT stick. I now want to get it to communicate with a Garmin HR strap, just to see that it works. I've tried a few things without success, and searched google for hints, but still can't get passed first base. So rather than waste many hours trying stuff (and annoy my wife by working on a Saturday evening) I thought I would ask for help here. I'll be back in front of the PC about eleven PM GMT, set for a few hours work before hitting the hay about two AM. So any quick answerr would be very useful and much appreciated.

Many thanks Robert Barrett      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-05-02

PM

Hi,

You need to make sure that your ANTware II node is configured correctly.

This means it must have the appropriate device type, and wildcarded device number and transmission type. You must also make sure that the RF is correct. For ANT+ communication, the appropriate number is 57. Finally, ensure that your network key is set to the ANT+ managed network key.

The network key and details on the HRM device profile can be found at the link below:

http://www.thisisant.com/pages/ant/ant-device-profiles

Note that you must be an ANT+ Adopter to have access to this information. If you are not already and adopter, you can become one here:

http://www.thisisant.com/pages/ant/ant-adopter-agreement

I hope this helps,

Kassandra      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I managed to talk to a friendly and knowledgeable person associated with ANT+. My main problem was that I was looking at pdf files of profiles on my system and not going back to the web site to see the hyperlink to the page where the network key resides. I also didn't appreciate that publishing a complete idiot's guide (including the network key) would violate the non-disclosure terms :unsure:

I now know what to put in the various fields to do what I need to do, but I don't think I would have figured that out very quickly from reading the profile and the ANTware manual. I needed somebody to tell me. I'm pressing on with the next challenge now, but I may come back to put a non-violating idiot's guide up at some time in the future when time permits. Or put it on my web site ........... without the network key of course :blush:

Cheers Robert      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-05-02

PM

Hello,

There is an ANTware II user guide available here:

http://www.thisisant.com/pages/developer-zone/software-tools

this is the same like where ANTware II is available from.

Best Regards,

Kassandra      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

It's a user's guide Jim, but not as I know it B) . It tells you what the fields are and what parameters to put in them. I could work out what the fields were without the user guide. What it doesn't give is any useful examples of how to set it up for particular modes e.g. combinations of values that work for a particular mode which would be very useful to a newbie.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

The device profiles (available for download in the ANT adoptor's zone) list all necessary settings in a very clear manner.
I found this very useful and more than sufficient to work with ANTWare II. Give it a try.

Cheers,
OMB      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I've got a pictorial brain which is great for visualising structures. I guess I just don't get on with linear documentation. Didn't help that I was looking at the pdf profiles thatI had downloaded, and not going back to the web site. The only clue as to where to get the ANT+ key is on the profiles page of the web site. There isn't a clue in the profiles; they just state that you need the key, but don't tell you where to find it.

Hopefully that snippet will save somebody else a couple of days of frustration wink