ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Galaxy nexus host for usb ant+ stick

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I have a galaxy nexus and want to use it with ant+

I have gotten a usb otg cable and things work great in host mode. I right now also have a garmin usb1 ant+ stick from 2008 (but can buy another one if needed).

What I want is to somehow get the solution to run ant+ applications. Best would be if it would identify like built in ant+ but even if not it's okay since the main use is for a custom app.

All hints and help deeply appreciated!      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-05-02

PM

Unfortunately, the Galaxy Nexus does not support ANT, and therefore you will not be able to run ANT+ applications on it at this time. There is talk that Wahoo is coming out with an ANT dongle for Android, so that would be your best bet in the future. There is a forum post dedicated to the dongle here:
http://www.thisisant.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,146/func,view/catid,30/id,2034/

Cheers.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Yes I want to do the same thing that Wahoo is doing with my ant stick but i guess there is no support for that here even if I get it to work with the usb host.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Using the USB Host API (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/host.html), is an endpoint available for the ANT USB stick while connected to the Galaxy Nexus?      
Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 0

PM

Sorry for the off topic, but is the Garmin USB ANT+ Stick able to do the same thing that ANT+ official USB dongle? At least at compatibility level. I am having some problems in ordering a official one.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

Has anyone connected an ANT USB stick to their phone/tablet with USB Host support?

Yes a Garmin USB stick (and other brands) will work in the same way. You will want to ensure it is a USB2 stick.      
Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 0

PM

martinr wrote:
Has anyone connected an ANT USB stick to their phone/tablet with USB Host support?

Yes a Garmin USB stick (and other brands) will work in the same way. You will want to ensure it is a USB2 stick.

Actually, I'm interested in the same as well.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I wrote a quick test application for USB host on ICS 4.0.4 and it shows one Vendor specific interface with 2 endpoints of type XFER BULK (Bulk transfer), so it would appear you could communicate with it, but I guess the data format is the question. I've never done this personally but have read about people who used this to talk to a microcontroller using their phone.