Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Controlling transmitter power levels and getting RSSI values on Android phone

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Is it possible to set ANT+ transmitter power levels with the Android-level SDK.
Also, is it possible to get the RSSI values from the ANT+ RSSI status register on the WiLink 6.0 chip that is currently used in Sony Ericsson Android phones?      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-05-02

PM

Hello,

We are currently working on the documentation for that feature. This documentation will be released to the public when it is finished.

Best Regards,

Kassandra      
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Are there any developments related to this? It should not be difficult. The ANT_LibConfig allows for extended packet reception. The android receiver-buffer only gets more data.      
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-08-22

PM

For information on using the RSSI feature please refer to AN16_RSSI_Extended_Information in the Application notes section of the developers zone (http://www.thisisant.com/pages/developer-zone/ant-application-notes).

The Android ANT API does not currently have an ANTLibConfig function which is needed for RSSI, but the message can still be sent using the general ANTTxMessage function of AntInterface.

Controlling TxPower can be done per channel using the ANTSetChannelTxPower function.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

W. L. Cleveland wrote:
is it possible to get the RSSI values from the ANT+ RSSI status register on the WiLink 6.0 chip that is currently used in Sony Ericsson Android phones?

Yep, it works well on Xperia S and Active:

public void ANT_LibConfig(byte libConfigthrows AntInterfaceException {
        byte[] enableExt 
= new byte[4];

enableExt[0] = (byte2;

enableExt[1] = (byte0x6e// Lib Config

enableExt[2] = (byte0// filler

enableExt[3] = (bytelibConfig// 80 Channel ID;
                                            // 40 RSSI;
                                            // 20Timestamp

antInterface.ANTTxMessage(enableExt); // enable extended format

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

I managed it to work with RSSI and Channel ID. But with Timestamp (0x20) I always get the error INVALID_PARAMETER_PROVIDED. Does anyone have managed Timestamp to work with the sony ericsson active? My code:

byte[] txBuffer = {(byte) 0x02,(byte) 0x6E,(byte) 0x00,(byte) 0x20}

Thanks
Michael      
RankRank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-06-29

PM

What phone are you seeing the INVALID_PARAMETER_PROVIDED error on? and what version of firmware does it have? You can find the firmware version by sending a request for version message AntInterface.ANTRequestMessage(0, AntMesg.MESG_VERSION_ID);

I configured timestamps on a phone we have here and it worked correctly      
Rank

Joined 0

PM

Phone:
Sony Ericsson Xperia Active (ST17i)
Version:
AOV1.08B00

Do you have the same or a newer version?

Thank you for your help
Michael      
RankRank

Joined 2011-06-29

PM

Unfortunately extended messaging with timestamps is only in version AOV1.15B00 or later. It was omitted in earlier versions because of code size constraints.      
Rank

Joined 0

PM

Can the firmware be updated? How can this be done?

Thanks
Michael      
RankRank

Joined 2011-06-29

PM

Updating the firmware requires rebuilding the phone's system image, which is not possible with a consumer build. Your carrier may provide a system update, but you cannot update the firmware yourself.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-01-21

PM

Hi,
I know this is a rather old topic but I couldn't find a better solution for my issue.
I want to get RSSI messages from an ANT+ heart rate device.

Is the way described here the only way to config RSSI messages for ANT+ devices?
If so, can we still use the ANT+ plugin to deal with the rest of the message while getting RSSI through the ANTInterface?

Thanks,
Iuri Andrade      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

Hi Luri,

The existing information in this thread is from before there was an ANT+ API (and the ANT+ Plugin Service) - so you should disregard it. RSSI updates are available during a multi device search (MultiDeviceSearch.RssiCallback), with the latest beta release candidate including RSSI while connected (AntPlusCommonPcc.IRssiReceiver : "Add an RSSI event to most devices" - I haven't tried this yet).

Much easier!      

Signature

blackramlabs.com