ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Windows Phone 8 with ANT+

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-04-18

PM

Hi.
I would like to ask about drivers and applications for windows phone 8. I know that there are no ANT+ capable devices for windows at the moment, but I think its possible to connect ANT+ usb stick to wp8 and use it that way(as with Android, USB ANT stick, ANT USB service and ANT radio service). I would like to use simmilar scenario no wp8. Is there something simmilar for wp8, or is there some work in progress? If not can I try to create such driver/app?

with regards
Tomi      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

There is no driver support for ANT USB sticks on Windows Phone 8. There are no plans at the moment to support this platform.      
Rank

Joined 2013-04-18

PM

Hi, thanks for reply. What kind of support could I get if I would choose to develop an application that would communicate with USB ant stick, and ant+ sensors through it?

With regards
tomigaspar      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

The main problem with developing for Windows Phone 8 is that it is a more closed, restricted platform; this is why we are unable to pursue development of drivers for it.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/5b4f6de6-39ef-4b93-b133-ec2e02f1fde5/
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpdevelop/thread/78e020a9-130c-492a-88f5-da83ae22ab14/      
Rank

Joined 2013-04-18

PM

As far as I know This-is-ant is special interest group which represents manufacturers of ant devices. Thus you are a representative of manufacturers, and those threads only mention that only device manufacturers can create drivers. This-is-ant is representative of several manufacturers, and I think that microsoft should be interested in that. For example, I am not buying a windows phone unless it has ant+ support. If they keep being stubborn I will go android again, even though I would like windows phone better:-)
I am willing to create such driver, or participate on its creation, but without support its impossible. Can this is ant, as ant device manufacturers representative get this support, to create windows phone drivers for ant?

With regards
Tomas Gaspar      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

Unfortunately, no. As mentioned before, ANT is unable at this moment to pursue development of drivers for Windows Phone 8.

However, make sure to let know the phone manufacturers of the phones you are interested in about your interest in ANT+.