Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → ANT Developer’s Forums → ANTWareII → Thread

Simple way to get RSSI readings?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

Hi

I would like to make some comparative measurements of RSSI and device sensistivity.

Are any of the USB stick type (Garmin/Suunto et al) ANT+ devices presumably based on the CC257x chipset on the market known to be able to provide RSSI information?

Should there be none, what is the most suitable/cost effective way to achieve this with AntwareII      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 156

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Hi,

Unfortunately none of the ANT USB sticks currently on the market support RSSI. You would need a USB Interface board with a C7 Module (http://www.thisisant.com/developer/components/c7-modules/) for RSSI reporting.

Only those components which explicitly state support for RSSI reporting on our components page
(http://www.thisisant.com/developer/components/c7-modules/) can provide RSSI information.

-Usama      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

I'd also like to note that ANTware II fully supports the USB Interface Board, but yes the only ANT device available for USB at this time supporting High Resolution RSSI is the C7 Module + USB Interface Board with ANTware II.

The maximum measured directionality of the antenna on that module is approximately ~2, you can find some more information about that in this thread.

Cheers      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

Thanks for prompt answers guys.

So do I need the full TI dev kit then or is there another device out there that will work for me?
Didn't want to invest too much just yet until I have worked a few things out.

(sorry for lack of detail - under NDA)

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-16

PM

There is a EU distributor that has stock on single pieces of both. http://WWW.Rutronik.com Give themn a try and if that does not work contact me directly .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

sorry been away few days
I'll follow this up - many thanks for your help.      
Rank

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

I am also interested getting an USB stick with RSSI capacities.

Can confirm me that :
- ANT-m stick does not provide RSSI ?
- C7 module has RSSI information ?
- such module can be provided by Rutronik ?

Plus Rutronik web site is very complete and finding components is difficult. I have found the complete kit, but I am interested by only USB sticks :

- what is the reference for this ?
- could give me the direct link to the Rutronik web site ?

Rank

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

No joy with Rutronix. No plug in C7 modules listed,( the solder ones on a lead time) and no usb sticks.

Found the modules in stock on Digikey but no usb stick carrier there either.

Harder work than I would have thought. Surely it must be in the ANT+ community interest to make this stuff readily available.

Any other suggestions please, else looks like I'm going to have to stick with BT and don't want to :(      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

bump grin      
Rank

Joined 2012-11-16

PM

Rutronik is not an online supplier. I thought you would email the sales team... sorry:)
Please email me directly and we can help you out.
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

sorry if I am being dense but all I am getting is (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ... it is, I can't and checked on a different browser and PM on the forum doesnt work for me either???      
Rank

Joined 2012-11-16

PM

mike dot paradis @ thisisant dot com      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-23

PM

got it thanks - can edit the post if you wish wink