ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Normalized Power per record

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2015-02-19

PM

Hi

I know that it's possible to get the Normalized Power per lap and per session. However is it possible to get this value per record? It seems the SDK doesn't support it at this moment.

Cheers      
Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-02-22

PM

I'm new to FIT so I don't know what is supported and what isn't, but I know power metrics well so I think I have some relevant information. The answer is that there is no such concept as normalized power per record. Normalized power is only defined over an interval or lap. Also, because it employs a 30 second moving average, NP is not even defined (cannot be computed) for laps shorter than 30 seconds. Also, while it can be computed for any lap greater than 30 seconds, it is not a relevant concept over intervals shorter than 15-20 mins, so many software programs recognize this by refusing to compute it for intervals shorter than some cutoff like 15 or 20 mins.      
Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2015-02-19

PM

Hi.

Yes I'm aware that NP is based on a moving average. However I thought the software would calculate and return this information.

Thanks

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

As the pre-poster said, NP isn't a "raw" value but a preprocessed one. So I wouldn't expect it in record messages either. But it should be a trifle for you to calculate it in your SW. All you have to do is calculate the 30 second moving avg. over the 4th power of the raw power values.

Cheers,
OMB