ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANTAP281M4IB used in alluminum enclosure

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-12-18

PM

Hi,
I'm developing a cycle computer with module ANTAP281M4IB . My device has alluminum enclosure 96x51x25mm except display area (2.7" display) ; module can be placed on board edge (near alluminum case) on top side (display side) or bottom side of the board ( i need to choose the best position).
I have no experience in RF and my doubt is that alluminum case can cause transmission/reception problem .
Can anyone tell me if display area is enough large for this RF? Can anyone suggest me if is better to place module on Top or on the Bottom side of the PCB?
I attach a picture of the prototype where you can see front aluminum enclosure with display and keys and a picture with device disassembly where you can see the position of ANT module on top side of the PCB (this PCB is a dummy without components on it , i used it only for mechanical reference). Bottom enclosure is aluminum.

Waiting for your reply
Best Regards
Marco Ruggeri      

Image Attachments

disassembly.JPGdevice.JPG

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2012-08-13

PM

Definitely the RF performance will be compromised. If you are stuck with this design, the question becomes how much compromise is acceptable. The general rule is to have the antenna be as far away from metal pieces as possible, you'd better run a series of controlled use case tests to find the best spot and best orientation.

Thomas