ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

CSV File data format

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2016-02-05

PM

Hi,

I am developing an embedded sensor module using the Raspberry Pi as basis. For this module I want to store sensor data in CSV format since there is no LINUX FIT library available. However I can't seem to find the required format and specifications for the CSV. Are there any example files or documentations regarding the CSV format ?

Kind regards.      
RankRank

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2013-01-28

PM

Hello,

If you download the library you will see that we offer it in Java, CPP, and C. These are all suitable for running in the linux environment. You should be able to use GCC (C/C++) to compile a static or dynamic library that utilizes the FIT messages and types as needed. Or you can get the Java JDK from Oracle to compile the java code (or link against the fit.jar provided).

The CSV conversion is for convenience of reading files only. If you open the CSV file in a programming editor (like Notepad++ you will see it literally just separates every value by a comma).

-Evan      
Rank

Joined 2016-02-05

PM

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the fast reply.

The point is that the person I am developing for wants the data in CSV format. Are there any requirements regarding the column names and the time format ?

Kind regards.      
RankRank

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2013-01-28

PM

I understand now. Your best bet is to look at the java csv tools source code provided in the SDK. Extract the SDK and look in Java/com/garmin/fit/csv and you will see all files related to reading and writing to CSV. The CSVTool.java is the application that can convert FIT to CSV.

Hope that helps.

-Evan      
Rank

Joined 2016-02-05

PM

Hi Evan,

The files you described did help a lot. Thanks!

Kind regards.