Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Capacity to Measure Distance Between Sensors

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-09-26

PM

My product is pre-market and I'm looking for methods to measure the distance between two points. This is a wearable biomechanics application that aims to better understanding an athlete's movement using free-weights. Because of undisclosed needs, we will need three sensors.

The goal is to measure an objective distance between three total sensors – the result: two total measurements.

One sensor would be on the foot, one on the hip, and one on the wrist. I've reviewed and even prototyped on depth-sensors with skeletal tracking, and read on RF in general, IR, and ultrasound methods for measuring distance. Each of them have their serious pitfalls – mainly pointing towards inaccuracy which is opposed to our product needing to be fairly objective in its measurements.

Question: Is there a way to measure distance between two or three ANT sensors in a network? I know there is a proximity search function for the pairing process. Could this be "accessed" at 30 times per sensor for relative distances of other nearby sensors?

Accuracy is our greatest need but also a fairly solid data rate (20-30 Hz or more) to record an athlete's movements in space. The result does not need to be a 3D result but a linear reading of two distances: the distance between sensor 1 and 2, and the distance between sensor 2 and 3.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I'm open to wild and crazy ideas on how to execute this idea.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

The only measurement you can reliably receive from the average radio is an RSSI value, which when calibrated can give a general idea of the distance between nodes. Unfortunately, RSSI is also subject to environmental conditions like humidity, multi-path interference, body blocking, signal directionality, etc, so the number cannot be expected to be reliable all the time.