ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Requesting a data page

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-09-26

PM

Hi,

Looking for help regarding requesting a specific data page. I looked at a similar thread but it was only of partial help: https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/3593

I have a cadence sensor that i am scanning for using a channel (0 in my case but could be another just as well) configured with wild cards. when i get a response i close the channel and open a new channel using the proper device and transmission ids to get a direct connection. i then send a request for page 80 using page 70 and the sendAcknowledgedData method. i am not getting a response.

i understand that not all devices will necessarily report back with a reply so i tried this out with an FE-C and it did work with that, that documentation specifies that page 80 is to be supported. so, that tells me that my code is very likely correct.

back to the cadence sensor, looking back at the documentation i see that page 80 is not even mentioned so i tried requesting page 2 since that is a supported page according to the documentation (as is support for page 70). again, no response.

two questions...is this supposed to work with a cadence sensor? and is the page request limited to pages 80, 81, etc or will it work with any page that the ant+ device supports according to its documentation?

coding in .NET if that matters and having .FUN doing it.

thanks,
scott      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 370

Joined 2012-06-27

PM

You are correct that page 80 is not part of the specification for bike cadence sensors, and page 2 is used instead.

Support for the request page is not actually required in the bike cadence profile, and is not tested for in certification. Some devices will support the request page, and others will not.

Ian      

Signature

Ian Haigh

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-09-26

PM

thank you for your response.

In my reading of the speed/cadence sensor document (D00001163) section 6.4 does not strictly indicate that this is an optional page. of course, it also does not indicate strictly that it must be supported either.

for future reference to this and other documents can i take it for granted that if some feature is not strictly optional or required to mean that it is optional? For instance, in the same document section 6.3.6 is clearly marked as optional while section 6.3.4 is marked as required.

thanks,
scott      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 370

Joined 2012-06-27

PM

The answer to that depends on the age of the document. In all new documents we are marking the requirements explicitly with "shall [" statements to help with this clarity.

In older documents it was not always so clear. Looking at the certification scripts will help clarify some points. For example: MD_0006 scripts will show which pages are expected to be part of the normal page rotation.

When in doubt, reach out on the forum if it isn't clear.      

Signature

Ian Haigh