Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

New to ANT - Questions about its capabilities

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hi, I'm an electrical engineering student and have had ANT suggested to me by my thesis supervisor. However, he seems to know practically nothing about it. What I want to do is have 100 sensors spread around a house measuring current and sending this data to a base station (possibly a laptop, but likely a station which will talk to the laptop).

Would I be able to use ANT in this sort of situation? It seems to have good battery life (wouldn't want to be changing batteries in 100 sensors), and is small (convenient for putting heaps around a house).

How good is the range? What sort of distances will it cover? (Going through lots of walls)

Will it work on more than one plane? (upstairs/downstairs, or even just roof/floor)

How many devices can I have on one network?

Is there anything else obvious I should consider?

Thanks heaps, your help is greatly appreciated.      
Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

ANT works on a 2.4GHz, 0dB radio. The modules are designed to provide 30m line of sight operation. Actual distance will greatly depend on environment - walls, floors, water, bodies, etc ... all attenuate the signal and will reduce distance. If you design your own modules you may get better or worse distance performance.

One way to increase the effective distance is to using "hopping nodes", to send data from node to node until it reaches its destination. ANT has the capabilities to do this - however, to make this truly scalable will require a lot of work at the application level - ANT does not implement full mesh capabilities, but it does readily support fixed topology tree networks. The are 2^31 addressable nodes in an ANT network. How many you actually have will depend on what type of network you are trying to design. A network with 100 nodes should not be a problem.

ANT is very low power, you can even design sensors that run on coin cell batteries for years without needing to be recharged.

Do you have access to the ANT Dev Zone? There is a university program that will grant you access. There is a lot of information in the dev zone that will answer a lot of your questions in more detail. Also check out the Downloads area - specifically the document ANT Message Protocol and Usage.

Sebastian      
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-11-09

PM

Do a search on the internet for Smart Grid. Basically, Power Outlets will be address defined allowing the Power Company to automatically disable devices remotely when they want to Load Shed.