ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

how to use ANT+ with nrf24L01

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hey,

I want to build a kayak cadence sensor for the Garmin Forerunner 305, ed. by simulating a bike cadence sensor (so that the garmin understand the data).
I want to use a nrf24L01+ (connected to a uController) to send the ANT+ messages. But I cant find information about this (only nRF24AP2 examples), I guess that the nrf24L01+ supports only the ANT protocol. ANT+ has to be programmed on the uC???

- On the nrf24L01+ is a Rx and Tx address that has to be set, but I cant find which address to use (this is a 3-5 bytes address)?
- The network key that I find in all other examples cant be set on the nrf24L01+, where is this done (the ANT+ protocol?)?
- Do I need to use the ShockBurst?
- Is there information about the ANT+ protocol?
- Are there example codes available for the nrf24L01+ or simular (not the nRF24APx)?

Best Regards      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

The nrf24L01/nRF24L01+ radio chips are used in AT3 modules and chip sets along with an ANT-protocol MCU.

Most AT3's offer SensRcore functionality which is an easy-to-use design platform that can be used to build wireless sensors.

There are data sheets available for AT3 in the "Downloads" section of the ANT website:
http://www.thisisant.com/products/data-sheets-brochures

As for ANT+, it is not exactly a protocol but rather a managed network that defines a set of parameters such as network key, network number...etc. Also, there are ANT+ device profiles in which they define the channel parameters, data formats and other requirements to be an ANT+ device. As a result, ANT+ devices have the advantage of being interoperable with other manufacturers of ANT+ devices.

On the other hand, the ANT protocol is responsible for setting up the parameters above; network key, network number and channel configuration. Also, the ANT protocol handles the transmission and reception of messages.

For more information about the ANT protocol and its usage please refer to "ANT Message Protocol and Usage" document:
http://www.thisisant.com/images/Resources/PDF/1204662412_ant message protocol and usage.pdf      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi,

Paraphrasing the original question: is there a way I can program my own uC connected to an nRF24L01+ so that it is a two chip ANT solution ?

Is the code that runs on the MSP430 on the AT3 two-chip module available ? Or even a spec that shows how one would do it ?

Thanks in advance,

Zainul.      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

In order to develop an ANT product, you would need an ANT chip based solution with the ANT protocol integrated in it. There are two types of ANT chip based solutions available:

1) Single ANT chips such as nRF24AP2, nRF24AP1 and CC257x
2) ANT chipsets such as AT3 chipsets

For more details on those ANT chip based solutions refer to "Products" section of the ANT website (link below):
http://www.thisisant.com/products

Therefore, you can't use the nRF24L01+ because it doesn't have the ANT protocol embedded in it. Also, you can't program the ANT protocol on your own uC because the ANT protocol is proprietary.

As an ANT developer, you need first to obtain an ANT based solution (either ANT chip/chipsets or modules);with the ANT protocol integrated in it, then write your own user application that utilizes the ANT protocol and its features.

You can get an AT3 module or an AP2 along with a micro-controller for your development. Also, there is sample code available for most device profiles.