Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Communicating with Garmin USB1 stick

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I recently bought a Garmin USB1 stick to communicate with my Powertap hub. I've got the ANT SDK with the managed library to develop an application in C#. I've also downloaded Garmin's ANT Agent to verify that the stick works. However, I've had no luck making this work.

Here's what happens:

* ANT Agent says it finds the stick, but does not find any ANT sensors (I'm sitting here wearing a heart rate monitor for testing purposes)

* Antware II does not list any devices

* The ANT+ Display Simulator gives me the following error message when I try to connect to an AP1 device:

Error Response 169 to command 70
COMMAND TIMEOUT!!!

* The DEMO_NET project (with the ANT+ network key in place) throws exception using both the default constructor and providing device number and baud rate.

For the record, ANT Agent was not running when I tried the other aplications. I've also tried on another machine using ANT Agent, no luck (although on THAT machine, the ANT Agent never seems to return from its sensor search).

I've installed the USB drivers both through ANT Agent and manually. No difference.

My machine is running XP SP3 and my other machine is running Win7 Pro.

Any ideas what I haven't done correctly?      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hello,

It seems that you are doing everything correctly:

- You have installed the USB driver
- ANT agent is detecting the USB stick
- You are not connected to ANT agent when running other applications such as ANTware II or ANT+ display simulator

However, you said that ANTware II is not listing any devices while the USB is connected to the PC. This means that the USB stick is connected to another application. Please make sure your ANT agent is closed by right clicking on the ANT agent icon then selecting 'Exit'. Moreover, when ANTware II application is launched, it right away connects to all available ANT devices; thus, you would need to release the listed ANT devices before using other applications such as the ANT agent or the simulators.

Also, I want to point out that the ANT agent is not intended to receive ANT sensor data such as heart rate and display it real time. The ANT agent is used as a way of transferring fitness data from an ANT device such as a sports watch to a computer for analysis.

Therefore, in order for you to receive and see real time heart rate data while wearing your heart rate strap, you could use either ANTware II or ANT+ display simulator. However, if you are using the ANT+ display simulator, your heart rate strap must also be an ANT+ sensor.      
Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi muharram,

I had stopped ANT Agent the way you described before running the other tests because I'd seen in other threads that ANT Agent would block other applications from seeing the USB stick.

I also verified that the ANT Agent was not running using Task Manager.

Any other ideas?

Jens      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-05-03

PM

Hi,

After disconnecting the USB stick from ANT agent, try unplugging then plugging the USB stick again. After that, check if the stick will be listed in ANTware II under 'Available Devices'. You may need to click the 'Refresh' button to list any new unconnected ANT devices.

Also, do you have another ANT USB stick to check if it will be recognized by ANTware II, simulators or the demo applications?      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

I have a Garmin USB1 Stick. Noting what is said within this thread how do you set up ANTware II to view real time heart data. ANTwareII recognises my USB stick and will transmit as master with the default settings so it appears to be working fine. So far I have tried various settings whilst wearing my heart rate belt but no luck in receiving heart rate signals from it.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

Please refer to the ANT+ Device Profile for HRM for all the details
http://www.thisisant.com/pages/ant/ant-device-profiles

You can post additional questions specific to HRM on the ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor section on the forum.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

As I am a private user interested in developing my own applications for personal use it would appear that I cannot gain access to:

http://www.thisisant.com/pages/ant/ant-device-profiles

Is it possible for users such as me to have access to such resources and if so how?      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-05-02

PM

You must become an ANT+ Adopter. Follow the link below:

http://www.thisisant.com/pages/ant/ant-adopter-agreement