ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Using the AT3 in a prototype

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-07-20

PM

Hello everyone,

I've put together a small wireless remote using SensRcore, the AT3 module and the dev kit. Once I had it running I had a PCB laid out, with the intention of connecting the AT3 to it instead of the IO and battery board. This way I could use the hardware and form factor desired for the remote.

We'll I've just gotten the boards back from the fab, but after connecting all the components I can't get the radio to start up. Any suggestions? Here's what I know so far:

*The at3 module / SensRcore script still operate correctly when connected to the IO and battery board

*When connected to the dev kit the AT3 talks to the ANTware II application, and my SensRcore script enables LED on Rf events (0X68). When connected to the my PCB neither of these function.

*When connected to the dev kit the radio draws less than 1 mA (resolution of my meter), but about 100 mA when connected to my PCB. This made me wonder if one of my IO was configured as an output trying to drive the GND plane up, but I'm pretty sure the first line of my script (0X91) set all the IO as inputs.

My next step is to try to start probing signals, and seeing if I can find a difference between my board and the dev kit. Any other suggestions? I've attached the schematic for my board along with the SensRcore script I'm running.

Thank you everyone!
-Peter      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

I would recommend starting with IOEL, PORTSEL, DEVSEL1, DEVSEL2, DEVSEL3, to double check that the pins are indeed set up for SensRcore mode, and are not being driven to a weird state because of a short or similar.

Next would be checking AIO1-3 and IO5-7, and check if the inputs are being driven up by some other signal.      
Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-07-20

PM

D'oh!

Checking the levels of the different signals turned out to be a great first step. It turned out reset was low; not quite ground, but low enough to trigger a reset.

A quick look under the microscope revealed a sodder blob pulling the reset pin down. A quick cleanup and the radio works perfectly!

Thanks!
-Peter