RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Question regarding ANT receiver sensitivity is something everyone
would like to know. Recently I replaced my ANT2 modules with C7
modules by TI. The nice feature is RSSI which was not available
in previous modules. In my surprise the lowest RSSI I managed to
achieve with no loss (BER = 0) was only -48dBm of RX RSSI signal.
This is somehow very, very BAD RX sensitivity. The documentation
is giving -85dBm at BER = 0.1%. But this number is not reachable.

I have tried hooked PA on the front-end of ANT2 and C7 modules
and performance is improved by incredible 40dB!!!
RF link distance 10km!!!

Could anyone explain to me how-so that RX sensitivity is so bad
and what can be done to improve this figure? I would like to
have workable RF link with -80dBm of RX signal.

Vlado.      
Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-01-25

PM

Hi,

I have the same problem here and I am not getting RSSI values beyond -50dB. I see this question was asked in 2012 and nobody answered it yet. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

Could you please provide more details in your setup:

What are you using for both end of the links - are they both C? Modules or custom design? Connected to a PC using a USB interface board? Any USB extension cables? Or is it an embedded design? Is there an enclosure? Outdoor/indoor? Orientation of the modules?      
Rank

Joined 2013-01-25

PM

I am using CC2571 on my board and the ANT USB2 stick. I am calculating the RSSI values on the CC2571. I also tuned the antenna on CC2571 for my application. The ANT USB2 stick is connected directly to the USB port on the PC and there is no extension cables. There is plastic enclosure for CC2571 but even without the enclosure I do not get any RSSI values beyond -50dB. The experiment is indoor and I used different orientation of the modules with no success. The ANT USB2 stick is configured as a master and transmits data at 4Hz while the CC2571 is configured as a slave and calculates the RSSI at each received packet from the master.

Thanks.      
Rank

Joined 2013-01-25

PM

Is there any solution to this problem? I tested the C7 modules and I am getting the same dropout level as my device which is at around -50 dB. Actually the minimum RSSI level I observed was -60 dB. I hope somebody can help me solve this issue.

Thanks.