ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

AP81M5IB rev G low power mode issue

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi

I have this module connected on Sync mode, it works great TX/RX, but after closing the channel, I still have a reading of around 328uA. The documentation says after closing all the channels it should Idle on its own and should be around 2uA, not quite there.
There is also a reference to a Deep Sleep command but only in the the datasheet, there is not reference in the actual User Guide about any Seep Sleep command and many places say the module will go into Idle on it's own.

Thanks      
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2008-10-24

PM

The current consumption appears that the AP2 module is in active mode, not IDEL. Please check you code to ensure the SLEEP signal is asserted (Active high).

There is a Application note named “Power states” in our website : http://www.thisisant.com/pages/developer-zone/ant-application-notes; this document could give you more detail about the state control of the AP2 module.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Sync mode, SLEEP signal?
Doc states that is only on Async. Am I confused now?
Thanks      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

SLEEP signal on Sync?      
RankRankRank

Joined 2008-10-24

PM

Sorry, I did not pay attention it was the Sync mode.

please check a few things in your design:

1. Have you got the channel response (EVENT_CHANNEL_CLOSED) when the host sends the message to close the channel?
2. Ensure all of the channels are closed as the AP2 module has 8 channels.
3. How do you measure the current consumption? The 328uA seems quite high for the AP2 itself.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

1. Have you got the channel response (EVENT_CHANNEL_CLOSED) when the host sends the message to close the channel?

Yes, I do the same way that I do for Channel Open and I get the proper answer for each.

2. Ensure all of the channels are closed as the AP2 module has 8 channels.

After power up, and after reset, the only channel I ever open/configure/use is channel 0, I'm not using/configuring any of the other channels at all.

3. How do you measure the current consumption? The 328uA seems quite high for the AP2 itself.

The ANT interface has it's own power supply, so I measure the current that flows in this path, using a FLUKE 85. I can read 0uA if I have the power to the ANT interface disabled, during search I have a reading of 2795uA (very close to 2.8 mA in spec).
When operating as simulating a Stride Distance Monitor (Pedometer TX), it averages 1120uA.

After closing the channel current falls back to 328uA. I can't get that any lower. The documentation is not very clear really.
ANT_AN13 mentions the power states available when not using an external 32KHz clock. This AP81M5IB, has a 32KHz clock I can assume that all the power states referenced in the AN13 are available.
Since this module is an AP2 module I tried the Deep Sleep Cmd (0xC5) and nothing happened, same current consumption as if I had just closed the channel.
The documentation states also that Channel (negated) (I can assume that means no channels open) and SMSGRDY (assume refering to the non asserted MRDY pin), puts you on IDLE, 2uA, and I can't get it to ever fall bellow 328uA.

Thanks      
RankRankRank

Joined 2008-10-24

PM

The normal TX current should be around 30uA; 1120uA is quite high. The problem could be caused by wrong hardware connection or damaged AP2 module. Can you please check the schematics and hardware circuit, especially the pin out around SIN, ensure there is no short or bridge; also try to replace the AP2 module.

If the problem still exists, please send your schematics for us to review.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-11-15

PM

Hi,
I'm faced to the same issue, I use AP81M5IB module in sync byte mode. There is no issue to open a channel, I enabled the 32kHz crystal and I didn't see the comsumption improvement.

When I try to close the channel and I receive RESPONSE_NO_ERROR but never EVENT_CHANNEL_CLOSED, and the module keeps on broadcasting.

Moreover, I tried to use the deep sleep command as indicated in the AN13, the module answer without any impact.

The only working way is to switch but it'snot acceptable.

How could be sure the 32kHz crystal is started?

Alejandro did you fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best Regards

Sebastien