Joined 2013-04-21

PM

Hello

I have some troubles ...

Device : Samsung GS3
USB Ant Key : USB-m (new one)

Installed on the GS3 (from Google Play) :
- ANT RAdio Service
- ANT USB Service (which is activated when I connect the ANT+ USB key to the GS3)
- ANT+ demo
- ANT+ bike display demo
- ANT+ plugins

I have also installed the ANTPlusPluginSampler_1.4.0.apk from the 4.0 SDK from your web site ....

But when I launch this ANTPlusPluginSampler, I get the toast "Channel not available" .... and on the Geocache page I have "No devices found".

The ANT USB key is ok because when I use it on my PC, I can receive message from my chirp using the ANT+ display simulator.

What is wrong ?

Rank

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

New operation : I have installed services from the SDK (instead of Google Play ) Radio+USB+Plugin, but I have still the same problem ....

Channel not available

No devices found
No results received from plugin yet ....

And when I do Menu/Reset, the problem is still there ...      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

If you have an app running that uses the old interface (eg. ANT+ Demo or ANT+ Bike Display Demo) it will take over every ANT channel, leaving none available for apps on the new version of the interface.

With the current ANT Radio Service, you must ensure no other apps are running which use the old interface before trying to acquire a channel.      
Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

Thank you for the support, but I have still the same problem:
- I have desinstalled ANT+ demo
- results of operation

First test
0. Connexion of ANT-m USB key : USB service launch is proposed / confirmation by OK
1. Launch of ANT+ PLugin manager / click on Geocache Utility : No devices found

Second test
0. Connexion of ANT-m USB key : USB service launch is proposed / confirmation by OK
1. Acquire channels Ant sample : click on "Open new channel" with Rx -> #2 Rx:[105], #3 Rx[....
2. Launch of ANT+ PLugin manager / click on Geocache Utility
GeocacheScanner : searching
<Invalid>

Only launching "Acquire channels" first allows to detect the key, but when scanning, I get also the strange message "Invalid" ???

So how can I avoid "Acquire channels" ?
What is the meaning of "Invalid" ?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

As for the acquire channels issue, we can look into that further. Can you PM me a copy of your android logcat files for both the first and second scenarios?      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

ShaneG - 21 May 2013 02:42 PM
As for the acquire channels issue, we can look into that further. Can you PM me a copy of your android logcat files for both the first and second scenarios?

That problem has disappeared ?!? .... what I have done :
- uninstall of ANT Plugin Manager
- reinstallation of ANT plugin manager

Now, ANT+ plugin sampler give access directly to the chirp ! no more problem of channel ....

Thank you for the support !!!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Yes, some of the samples could be more clear, they are made more as code samples then as examples of good UI smile It's good to hear things are working for you.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

jjmonot - 21 May 2013 03:01 PM
ShaneG - 21 May 2013 02:42 PM

That problem has disappeared ?!? .... what I have done :
- uninstall of ANT Plugin Manager
- reinstallation of ANT plugin manager

Now, ANT+ plugin sampler give access directly to the chirp ! no more problem of channel ....

Thank you for the support !!!

The following morning : problem is back .... !!! :-(

So the procedure to have the sampler working is to :
- acquire channel first
- then to launch the sampler ...
not very user friendly ... how could I avoid this

By the way, what is the usage of "Saved devices" in the ANT plugin manager ? When I click on it, I have "Device database is empty" ....
Do you have some doc to explain it ?

Where can I find the logcat files ???

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

To get logcat files you can:
-View them in Eclipse (Window > Show View > Other... > Android > LogCat)
-Copy them to a text file using adb (adb logcat -d > logcat.txt)
[Eclipse and adb are available in Google's Android Development Tools package. They also require you to enable 'debug mode' on your phone (Settings > Developer options > USB debugging)]
-There may be some apps that allow it too (https://play.google.com/store/search?q=logcat) but I don't have any experience with them so I can't give more info on them.

As for 'Saved Devices' some plugins such as heart rate allow you to save a name for a device and set a preferred device to connect to when you first connect to the device. You can see this if you open the heart rate plugin sampler and connect to a heart rate device. It is not used by geocache plugins.

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

The problem is that the problem appears when the ant key is connected to my gs3 on the usb port. So debugging with eclipse is no more possible.....

So i do not see how to get these logcats .... ?!?      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

You don't have to be hooked up live to get the logs, if you attach to the computer after you perform a test, then viewing logcat will show the log buffer previous to attaching as well (as long as you don't clear it).      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

Ok...

What is the filter to be applied to select only logs concerning the ANT+ app ?

I have found "AntPluginService" ... is there any other ?

Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

Not easy to get log concerning ant actions, because the time I switch to Eclipse older logcats are vanishing ....

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

If you can continue development by running the Aquire Channels Sample first, then we will look into the issue here. You will always get 'no device found' if you have not opened the other app?

For logging top-to-bottom ANT you are probably best filtering on the base package:
app:com.dsi.ant      
Rank

Joined 2013-04-21

PM

Hello

I have made extra tests :
- desinstallation of all applications that could use ANT on my SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 Android 4.1.2 : same problem
- installation on a SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 10.1 Android 4.0.2 : same problem

To have to launch the acquire chanel before is OK for test but not realistic for an app development : have you an idea of the reason ?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

Sorry we haven't replied for a couple days. We have been able to reproduce the issue on our side and we are making a fix for the radio service. It seems that on phones that do not have built in ANT support and are using a usb stick only, the plugins are not notified that there is a usb stick being initialized during startup and are being told there are no channels available. Depending on how fast the usb stick is initialized this error may or may not occur, which might explain why some phones and some scenarios are not displaying this behaviour.

While we make the fix, you can continue to test by starting the other app first to start the radio service and initialize the usb stick before starting any plugin programs.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer