Welcome guest, please Login or Register

common programming languages in ant+

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-12-02

PM

Hello,

I'm new to Ant+

I would like to know which programming language is common among the many diverse platforms that ant+ applications run on. By platform, I mean, Windows Desktop PC, Android phones and tablets, iPhone

so say I chose to develop my Ant+ application in c++. Will my Ant+ c++ application be able to run on Windows Desktop, Android phones and tablets, and iPhone ? I'd like to write the application once and then run on these 3 platforms.

Thanks.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

noli - 02 December 2013 01:26 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Ant+

I would like to know which programming language is common among the many diverse platforms that ant+ applications run on. By platform, I mean, Windows Desktop PC, Android phones and tablets, iPhone

so say I chose to develop my Ant+ application in c++. Will my Ant+ c++ application be able to run on Windows Desktop, Android phones and tablets, and iPhone ? I'd like to write the application once and then run on these 3 platforms.

Thanks.

C++ is supported on the desktop (besides C#, VB, Java, ...).
To my best knowledge, Android requires you to code in Java, iOS requires Objective C.
Plus of course major differences in the runtime systems (i.e. libraries) that you will use.
So I don't think that your objective will be easy to meet.

Cheers,
OMB      
Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 0

PM

Hi Noli,

Even if the programming language is the same the APIs are a little bit different.

If you go for Android you will use Java and the Android API or program in C/C++ and use the NDK and some interfacing/wrapper to use the Android API.

For Iphone it is Object C, so you still have some porting activities to do.

For PC if there is a language binding you can use that, in C it is a little bit more lower level.

But the bigger question will be which HMI/GUI will you be using on the all those platforms so you can use that as a base. OpenGL ES (which version) and how to handle this on the desktop? Or are you planning for a framework/toolkit? Think also about screen size and other UX things.

Having said that:
If you put some abstraction and layers in your architecture the porting work should be limited. And if your favorite language is available on your platform you can always create a wrapper library to call the API from a different language.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Antoine