ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Battery Status event

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

Hello,

How does AntPlusCommonPcc.IBatteryStatusReceiver deal with multiple batteries? Does it only report the status of the lowest battery?

I'm collecting bike power data, so need to deal with cases where there are left and right sensor batteries.

Thankyou,
R      

Signature

blackramlabs.com

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

Hi Arrgh,

Thanks for your helpful posts in a couple of other threads today!

I'll leave someone with more detailed knowledge of the plugins to answer what the battery status receiver does.

But I can say that the initial approach that we took to left right systems was to recommend that sensor manufacturers reported the lowest battery level as you suggest. It is likely that you will still find sensors in the market that only do this. At that time no mechanism was defined for sending the status of multiple batteries.

The current situation is that sensors can include a 'battery index' when reporting battery status, and report the number of batteries in the system. By default the lowest charged battery information will still be transmitted. However, it is now possible to request information on the remaining indexed batteries.

In bike power a convention has been defined mapping the lowest battery indices to left / right pedals. I can't remember which way round this was, but take a look at the description for common page 82 in the ANT+ bike power device profile for more info.

Kind regards,

Kat      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

Thankyou for the quick reply Kat.

To easy; I can expect a device to only send the lowest battery status, unless I specifically make it more complicated by requesting information for others (and data requests don't seem possible on Android anyway).

R      

Signature

blackramlabs.com

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

The new release of the ANT+ Plugins now supports decoding the new battery data sent by some new devices including the battery identifier and number of batteries. https://github.com/ant-wireless/ANT-Android-SDKs/tree/master/ANT+_Android_SDK      

Signature

Dynastream Developer