ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT Radio service permissions problem

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 0

PM

Hi,

there is a problem with the new permissions of the ANT Radio service application in the Google Play store. I used to install the service from the Google Play store on the Archos 80 Titanium. Now I get that the device is not compatible with the application. Android version 4.1 and I installed this app in this device several times before.
Could you please fix it?
Thanks.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-11-30

PM

I can confirm that ANT Radio Service 4.6.0 is restricted to install on devices with Bluetooth (which the Archos 80 Titanium does not have). I can't think of any reason why this would have been deliberate, as the ANT Radio Service is hardware independent, but I will make sure someone investigates and get an update posted here.

Cheers,
-Rohan      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

There was an issue where the Play Store automatically assumed we needed bluetooth hardware because of another fix we did. For the previous few weeks we enabled 4.2.0 version to show up again for devices without bluetooth. The new ARS version 4.7.0 has a correction for this issue and will start showing up on the Play Store later today for all devices.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

Can developers please get a version to verify before it goes out to users?

Edit: I see there is an update on the GitHub repository, but I assume this is already published to production on the Play Store from the commit description.

Thanks.
R      

Signature

blackramlabs.com

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

The GitHub ARS was published with at least a 12hour lead time plus the extra time Google takes to put a published APK on their live downloads. Additionally, this version of the ARS was a requested bug fix with little other changes, so our publish cycle was condensed.      

Signature

Dynastream Developer

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 149

Joined 2014-04-02

PM

Hi ShaneG

Some things you may not have considered:
1. The ability to test the Radio Service before it goes to users has been requested by multiple developers.
2. If this 12 hour lead time is not during office hours (which it can't be for every time zone), there is no chance to test, find issues, and report them to you before the publish to the Play Store.
3. I do not know of a way to know that you have decided to push an update to GitHub, without constantly checking manually (which is not a reasonable solution).
4. Even if we did happen to check for a GitHub update when you have just done one, and before you have made the Play Store update, finding any issues in time to prevent a bad user experience assumes that we can put all other priorities on hold and run all the tests in the time available (which is also not reasonable).

Thanks.
R

Signature

blackramlabs.com

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2010-10-25

PM

I am in agreement with this. Google Play has a good system for doing Alpha and Beta releases that I think you should be using for the various APK releases. Personally I would in your position go with a moderated Alpha list and an open Beta. I would get a number of my users signed up to an open beta hence enabling me to get nice feedback about anything really bad in an update quickly.

I know your not trying to release bad stuff but the Android range of devices means it's a hard job and you have not had 100% success in the past in not breaking things hence our nervousness.

Ifor      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2011-09-12

PM

I have made a comment here concerning release issues: http://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewreply/5828/      

Signature

Dynastream Developer